When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My new 42mm Tourby Aviator

ubiquitous

Just wanted to share some pics of my latest acquisition ^_^

My wife and kids asked me what I wanted for my birthday; apparently, I'm a tough one to shop for (in her words :lol: ). I had been eyeing these great timepieces offered by Tourby for some time now and thought this was a great opportunity to get my hands on one; no better excuse to justify a new watch (well, anytime's a good time for a new watch).

A quick note to Tourby and I decided that the 42mm Aviator was the one for me. I gave him my wish list of parts I wanted; satin finished case, double round bezel, big diamond crown, decorated Swiss 6498, sterile display caseback and sterile black dial. After a few short days, confirmation of build was received with tracking; a few days following my watch had arrived :)

Classic Pilot looks:

IMG_6818.jpg

This watch offers quite a stark contrast from my only other pilot style watch (my IWC 3717), as the dial is very simple and austere; not a lot of complication with extra subdials, text, etc. It's down to business with this one, and it lends to a completely different look and feel.

BIG crown:

IMG_6820.jpg

IMG_6832.jpg

I was initially a bit worried about the crown's size and having it dig into my hand when extended, but have found it to be a non-issue thus far. The diamond crown was a requisite for me; I love the IWC Big Pilot, but not the Big Pilot size. The 42mm case is a little better suited for my wrist, but the crown helps give the watch a bit of the Big Pilot element :)

Beautifully finished movement with nice cotes de geneve decoration:

IMG_6834.jpg

IMG_6741.jpg

At times I'll take the watch off just to stare into the caseback. No matter how many times I look at it, the finish of the bridges and plates and the way the light manipulates the grooved lines of the Geneva stripes... Watching the balance wheel oscillate and seeing the escapement and pallet tick-tocking away... It's all just nice to watch, and it's easy to get lost in gazing.

Solid horned lugs:

IMG_6838.jpg

IMG_6738.jpg

Strap selection:

IMG_6830.jpg

IMG_6822.jpg

The straps are quite nice with interesting details, rivets and a hooped metal keeper. The thought of maybe procurring the bracelet had crossed my mind, and I may just pick it up to have one. However, I do feel that having the watch on a strap is part of what separates the character of this watch from my 3717 (which is on a bracelet).

Overall, I think the wife and kids did a great job in getting me a watch I know I'll love ^_^ See? I'm not difficult to buy for at all...

Thanks for looking!

IMG_6845.jpg

//ubi

• Like 1