When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rsc Guarantee Certificate ?

linkukbora

Hi friends,

I was browsing the sales ad at TZ and stumbled upon this

105500-25186.jpg

I've been trying to have one of my vintage 1803 authencitated by RSC in full writting and was turned away as they have a strict policy not to be implicated in whatsoever form arising from their certifications. Question is, are they starting this kind of authencity certificate NOW or what ? Take another close look at the certificate that didn't have the serial numbers printed thus possible abuse.

What's your thought on this and has anyone of you contacted RSC for such authencity? :)

Edited by linkukbora

The RSC's, from what I understand, are not doing authentications the way they used to. In the past, they would do verifications/authentications- At first, they would do them via phone and fax, and then after getting stung a few times with that process, they started only doing authentications with the watch in hand. Now, they will not even go to that extent; i.e. if you have a red font 1680, and send it in for service/authentication, they will no longer give specification as to which dial is on your watch (like they used to). The reason for this- Many unscrupulous individuals would send in their watch for authentication with a very specific rare/exotic dial, asking for aditional confirmation on the dial type, etc. After the watch was returned, they would have a 3rd party watchmaker replace the dial with an aftermarket piece, yet they would have the document in hand from Rolex stating the dial to be authentic (meanwhile, they sell the watch, and then either keep the original dial, or sell it a la carte for an additional profit). Thus, RSC's will no longer provide this kind of service. So... Now, if you have a genuine watch, and you send it in for repair/service, you will have to make do with the fact that Rolex serviced the watch as authentication. Since they will only service a genuine watch, this is, what they will deem as an acceptable document to prove your watch as genuine.

Hope this helps...

R

The RSC's, from what I understand, are not doing authentications the way they used to. In the past, they would do verifications/authentications- At first, they would do them via phone and fax, and then after getting stung a few times with that process, they started only doing authentications with the watch in hand. Now, they will not even go to that extent; i.e. if you have a red font 1680, and send it in for service/authentication, they will no longer give specification as to which dial is on your watch (like they used to). The reason for this- Many unscrupulous individuals would send in their watch for authentication with a very specific rare/exotic dial, asking for aditional confirmation on the dial type, etc. After the watch was returned, they would have a 3rd party watchmaker replace the dial with an aftermarket piece, yet they would have the document in hand from Rolex stating the dial to be authentic (meanwhile, they sell the watch, and then either keep the original dial, or sell it a la carte for an additional profit). Thus, RSC's will no longer provide this kind of service. So... Now, if you have a genuine watch, and you send it in for repair/service, you will have to make do with the fact that Rolex serviced the watch as authentication. Since they will only service a genuine watch, this is, what they will deem as an acceptable document to prove your watch as genuine.

Hope this helps...

R

Thanks Randy :) That's what I've been thru and exactly just that to have their service invoice as a proof of athencity :angry: Anyway, what do you think of that warranty certificate dated 06/14/2006 ? Could it be real ?

Yeah... It's real. I believe that the number in the upper right hand corner is the s/n for the watch (the 2M number coincides with a watch from that time frame). I am not sure if these are being issued only in certain countries, but I am quite sure that Rolex Bienne, Bex, the US branches, etc. are all following the course of action that I mentioned prior.

Yeah... It's real. I believe that the number in the upper right hand corner is the s/n for the watch (the 2M number coincides with a watch from that time frame). I am not sure if these are being issued only in certain countries, but I am quite sure that Rolex Bienne, Bex, the US branches, etc. are all following the course of action that I mentioned prior.

The reason I am doubtful on the certificate is RSC no longer issue it long ago and this dated just 2 months ago ( Obvoiusly my AD hasn't really tried hard enough :angry: ) One word for caution to anyone interested buying vintage rollies, dial swapping is very rampant as told by Ubiquitous and for that you could pay hefty price for DRSD, for an example of which there's no proper record on such dial except the s/n run( I can't recall now). Even the expert from RSc can't confirm that as well :lol:

Question is, are they starting this kind of authencity certificate NOW or what ? Take another close look at the certificate that didn't have the serial numbers printed thus possible abuse.

That doesn't look like an authenticity certificate to me, it looks like it's guaranteeing some work done on the watch.

• 1 month later...

Randy,

I just read on the Rolex Vintage Forum on TZ that the RSC's are going to start authenticating again. however the underside of the dial will be marked with a number or symbol then photographed. this will be part of the certificate. This will happen when Rolex gets it's Heritage division up and operating.

the Rolex nuts are really buzzing about this, as they feel that it wil help to keep the prices of the really rarer pieces climbing, i.e.1665, 1680, Comex,5513's etc. but will possibly create a decrease in prices of later models such s 16660, 16800 and other later models that were starting to take off in price because everyone was afraid that Rolex was going to stop servicing the older watches from the 1960's and 70's.

My very bad German tells me that it is a one year warranty of some sort.

It also says something about third party. Ask any German speaking member.

My similar bad German makes me guess it's a limited guarantee on a performed service or repair of the watch. Not for the watch itself, but for the labour and parts.

Just a guess though