When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Everyday Carry (EDC) check

P4GTR

I can easily sum up my opinion on the immediate conversation...

Knowing Reg likes things the way he does, and having acquired my Reg O' Rikka shortly before these pics were made, I felt only one timepiece was suitable for sponsoring the days event.

One thing thats hard to dispute, a 1911 in its native caliber always aims to please.

SDC12339.jpg

SDC12341.jpg

SDC12391.jpg

SDC12395.jpg

SDC12396.jpg

P4GTR, I shot the 2007 Single Stack Nationals (presented by Springfield Armory) and shot with Robbie Latham. He's an incredible shooter and a heck of a sportsman. Nice guy. He's won that event for, I think, 14 years straight? I was no threat, I can assure you of that.

Living in the UK, these aren't EDC items, but we were clearing out last week, and I found a couple of my other blades, so I thought I'd share :) I bought the bear claw about 10 years ago as I just liked the look of it, and the throwing knife was a gift from a friend. I modified the handle with zip ties and electricians tape to build it up into a more utlitarian handle like a hunting knife, rather than keeping it totally stripped down for throwing.

DSCN2748.jpg

The grip safety on my IPSC Limited racegun gun is pinned, but I have large hands so it's not really necessary.

To your other statements, let me say this as to why I carry a .45:

There were a handful of times when someone would come in to my store and after talking a bit they would show me a scar and say something like "Here's where I was shot with a .380ACP". No one EVER told me they had been shot with a .45; do you know why? Because those people are no longer around to talk about it! ;)

A customer of mine was a bouncer at a club 20 years ago, and carried a S&W .357 Mag. He tossed a wild drunk out one night and the patron waited in the parking lot until my friend got off work, and when he came out of the door the assailant shot him with a .22LR pistol. At that point my friend drew his Smith and dispatched his attacker. He was treated and released for the .22 wound.

True, we Americans like big things. Big cars with big engines, big guns, big boobs - wait, I guess that one is universal. :p

+1 on all accounts! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I understand where you're coming from, but can I point out the naivety of this:

The SOLE purpose of a hand gun in a social situation is to STOP an armed aggressor. The reason for large cal pistol choice is that it has been proven time and again that .38/9mm stops around 50% of the time with a central body hit, .45 about 95%. (.22 ONLY STOPS with a positive hit around the orbital sockets area of the face)

Killing in the context of defence with a pistol is an irrelevance - the ability to STOP the opponent shooting you is the only criteria. Your pip squeak .22 shots may well kill your assailant .....Long after he's continued his pursuit of shooting you! By far the most common cal for domestic firearms deaths is the .22 believing it to magically not harbour lethality is utter stupidity. Sorry in the scenario you painted above you took all the risks: stepping outside the law (apparently), and the potential of killing...with very little of the stopping power that a "clear danger of an armed conflict" sorely requires

I'm not quite sure where you are from, but experience has taught me that a .22 has sufficient stopping power. It turns out that the criminals in norway arent used to being shot. and you know... The clip holds more bullets. As for the domestic thing. I gotta tell you. .22s are owned by MANY idiots. Especially in the US. In Norway you have to be a member of a club to get a license to own a gun. You might find this to be too much red tape, but it insures that the purchaser has a good knowledge of weapons and weapon treatment. Giving guns to idiots who have no basic training is ludacris.

There is about 4.7 million people in Norway. We had a total of 29 homicides in 2009, 8 of these were comitted with firearms. This translates to 0.17 homicides by fireams pr 100 000 citizens. By comparison the number for the US is 4.3 pr 100 000! That's 25 times the rate of firearm-related homicides in Norway! All accidental deaths by firearms and all non-fatal injuries comes in addition to these numbers.

I wouldnt be surprised if this makes being shot a pretty common thing in the US,but here in Norway it's still pretty rare. It also turns out that even hardened criminals tend to think twice once they get a bullet in the knee with the option of getting more.

As for shooting people in the eye socket. We have a clearence rate of about 99.2 % in homicides in Norway, so i'm really not looking to kill anybody. Dont want to be spending years in prison. However i have to say I do get a somewhat funny picture of the idiots who kill themselves in domestic accidents with .22s. Looking into the barrel going: "Is this where dems there bullets be commin out?" :p

Woe betides you when you rely on your humble .22 to quell a life threatening attempt by determined bad guys with weapons. All the stats in Christendom wont alter the shortcomings of your defence.

You obviously missed the message in my earlier post

And where am I from... reality

Ballistic performance in firefights you will find is pretty uniform in its results irrespective of country it takes place in.

What calibre is the AK, its not one of those .22 ones is it. I always lusted after one of those when i was a kid

It is indeed a 22 :D I have had it since I was a kid. My dad bought it like 20 odd years ago for me.

I'm not quite sure where you are from, but experience has taught me that a .22 has sufficient stopping power. It turns out that the criminals in norway arent used to being shot. and you know... The clip holds more bullets. As for the domestic thing. I gotta tell you. .22s are owned by MANY idiots. Especially in the US. In Norway you have to be a member of a club to get a license to own a gun. You might find this to be too much red tape, but it insures that the purchaser has a good knowledge of weapons and weapon treatment. Giving guns to idiots who have no basic training is ludacris.

There is about 4.7 million people in Norway. We had a total of 29 homicides in 2009, 8 of these were comitted with firearms. This translates to 0.17 homicides by fireams pr 100 000 citizens. By comparison the number for the US is 4.3 pr 100 000! That's 25 times the rate of firearm-related homicides in Norway! All accidental deaths by firearms and all non-fatal injuries comes in addition to these numbers.

I wouldnt be surprised if this makes being shot a pretty common thing in the US,but here in Norway it's still pretty rare. It also turns out that even hardened criminals tend to think twice once they get a bullet in the knee with the option of getting more.

As for shooting people in the eye socket. We have a clearence rate of about 99.2 % in homicides in Norway, so i'm really not looking to kill anybody. Dont want to be spending years in prison. However i have to say I do get a somewhat funny picture of the idiots who kill themselves in domestic accidents with .22s. Looking into the barrel going: "Is this where dems there bullets be commin out?" blum.gif

Using a 22 is very effective if you want to execute someone. The bullet enters the skull cavity and do not have enough velocity to get back out so it bounces around in your head..... Scrambeled brains anyone :D You will have to be in close proximity though like from the back or directly to the temple...