When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Radiomir Homage............

hiker01

After the first Mod Project I did a few months back....read here: ,

A picture gallery of my next project based on the same base watch from GetStat, HK:

baserad.jpg

This project took some time, but finally.....here it is:

The inside:

pamhomage3.jpg

pamhomage2.jpg

and this is how it turned out....after two coats of paint on the base plate, and four on the dial. EAch layer was slowly and smoothly sanded down before each coating....

radhomage6.jpg

radhomage5.jpg

radhomage3.jpg

radhomage.jpg

radhomage8a.jpg

radhomage7.jpg

VERY VERY COOL!!!!!!

I love it! Are you going to do anything to the case? I think it would look even better if somehow the case were distressed to match the dial, the case looks too new/perfect now.

Please explain again about the painting: You painted the dial and then sanded between coats, but are there only two colors on the dial itself? I see the yellow and black and a TOUCH of red there too, or is that the photo? And did you use two colors on the base plate too, or just one?

Thanks, and again, FANTASTIC project!

Interesting result :):good: What happened to the second sweep hand?

I decided to take it out.....i think it looks better without it!

VERY VERY COOL!!!!!!

I love it! Are you going to do anything to the case? I think it would look even better if somehow the case were distressed to match the dial, the case looks too new/perfect now.

Please explain again about the painting: You painted the dial and then sanded between coats, but are there only two colors on the dial itself? I see the yellow and black and a TOUCH of red there too, or is that the photo? And did you use two colors on the base plate too, or just one?

Thanks, and again, FANTASTIC project!

I'm thinking of doing the TeeJay "Torture" treatment! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

With regards to the paint layers, on the base plate, it was brass metal and the leftover lume, I sanded that down and spray painted it matte black, and after 4 hours of drying time, I sanded it down just enough and then sprayed the red! After another 4 hours of drying time, I sanded it a little rough to give it that aged look!

The dial was kinda the same process.....light blue dried for 4 hrs, then black, this time sanded down a bit to make the LB come out, then the red sanded down again a bit to show the 3 layers and finally the yellow (this time dried for 24 hrs to make it really hard).....and sanded down to what you see! You can't really notice the Light Blue color, but my thinking was that it would enhance the black! Then I polish it by just rubbing it with one of those eyeglass cleaning clothe......while watching TV.....and there you go!

The hands I completely strip and just give it that bare metal look! I think the effectg is good!

Any tip on how I could aged a PVD case without stripping it? I'm open for suggestions!

To give PVD some character... Hit it with a cape cod, and then wear it for some natural wear and tear.

An example- This is how my old DSN case started:

174_7464.jpg

Not a great pic, but the finish is kind of chalky, and the coating had a rather thick appearance to it.

After some cape cod time...

IMG_6415.jpg

Much less chalky with a bit of a gun metal tone; a bit more sheen to the finish as well as a sort of oxydyzed look... Much better character in my opinion...

To give PVD some character... Hit it with a cape cod, and then wear it for some natural wear and tear.

After some cape cod time...

IMG_6415.jpg

Much less chalky with a bit of a gun metal tone; a bit more sheen to the finish as well as a sort of oxydyzed look... Much better character in my opinion...

Hey R-! How long did it take you? And those edges, they look like they're almost close to the metal......are they?

Thanks, Mate!

F-

I don't recall how long it took exactly, but I did go slowly over the course of several days. You could also do a bit of an oxyclean treatment as well to add additional character to the PVD :)

As for the edges- The coating is still present at the edges, but with a little more wear. Gives it a very nice, patina'd look.

I have a PVD Parnis Uboat homage that I want to vintagize, haven't tried yet, I am still casting around for ideas...

Hey JG!

I followed Ubi suggestion using OxyClean and this is the result, now on a different strap:

homagerad.jpg

I'll try to get some closeups tomorrow with natural lighting!

BTW: Be extra carefull when you take out the crown, the keyless works dislodges easily:

rad6497.jpg

I had to reset mine a few times!