When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Speedmaster now fitted with a XAC 342.594 Crystal with the chrome Ring

Lazoon

Before I explain how I fitted a "STERNKREUZ XAC 342.594" (Omega-Speedmaster 5077) Crystal complete with the correct Chrome metal insert (which hides the machined step).

Can anyone with an orignal Speedmaster Moon watch please answer this question:

Is the Large chrono Second Hand on an THE ORIGINAL Speedmaster Moon Watch straight or curved?

HOW I FITTED THE CRYSTAL YOU HAVE ALL BEEN WAITING FOR:-

The "Sternkreuz XAC 342.594" comes complete with the Metal Chrome Strip fitted inside it, this cures the problem of having the unsightly step which you get if you fit the STERNKREUZ hW 33.6 High Dome Crystal.

What you will need to do before you fit the XAC 342.594 in place is to carefully remove the 'Tachymetre Bezel' (this will be used as a size gauge later). You will then need to turn down the outside diameter of the 'XAC 342.594' until you can place it on a flat surface & then drop the 'Tachymetre Bezel' over it so it sits nicely on the same surface as the 'XAC 342.594' is sitting on.

If you then drop the modified 'XAC 342.594' into the body of your Speedmaster, then place the 'Tachymetre Bezel' back into its correct seating, you will then see that you have a Speedmaster with a really nice looking domed lens, but without that horrible step.

I bonded my modified crystal in place using Super Glue (I tried using G-S hypo cement But it was not very successful), I bonded the 'Tachymetre Bezel'in place using evo-stick.

I didn't have any special tools to turn down the 'XAC 342.594' crystal.

This is how I turned down my 'XAC 342.594' crystal which I purchased from "Cousins" web site for about

BTW when you say chrome ring i am a bit confuzed as the gen has a mat black tention ring

When I was looking for a suitable hi domed crystal on Cousin's web site I came across

the "STERNKREUZ XAC 342.594" it had in brackets beside the title: "(Speedmaster 5077)".

I assumed that this was a generic copy of the speedmaster crystal.

When fitted the new crystals chrome ring (maybe its polished stainless steel) blends in really well with the stainless steel watch body.

regards

lazoon (U.K.)