When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Can I prolong the life of my watch?

William Campbell

I would like to buy multiple A7750s. This can get expensive, especially when they will all need servicing eventually.

Let's say I have 4 watches. I like to wear my watch for long periods at a time, say

3 months. What if I pull the crown out on the watches I am not using, so they don't run? Then in 3 months I start

one of the watches and wear that for 3 months, and so on. Wouldn't the watches last longer than they would if

they were running during this time? Are there any disadvantages, can the watches be damaged?

No need to pull the crown out, let them run down...

This sounds like the winder debate, to leave running or not.

If I follow your logic of "quarterly" wearing and swapping your watches. And for sake of argument, 3yr life expectancy on an unserviced A7750.

That translates to:

-Each watch worn 3 months a year.

--Therefore, 4 years = 1 year running time per watch.

---4years x 3 (lifespan) = 12 years of probably being ok before a needed service or repair.

I think that is what you are asking?

No need to pull the crown out, let them run down...

This sounds like the winder debate, to leave running or not.

If I follow your logic of "quarterly" wearing and swapping your watches. And for sake of argument, 3yr life expectancy on an unserviced A7750.

That translates to:

-Each watch worn 3 months a year.

--Therefore, 4 years = 1 year running time per watch.

---4years x 3 (lifespan) = 12 years of probably being ok before a needed service or repair.

I think that is what you are asking?

Yes, very well put.

Time is the factor, not if they are running or not.

Oils dry up and turn acidic over time, they get gummed up and this affects not only the timekeeping but the potential for wear if the movement is running.

Up to the point that they need to be serviced (5 years after the last service) it doesn't matter if they are running or static.

After 5 years and once the oils are dried up, then running them will eventually damage them.