When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex Sub No Date Advice Needed (newbie Alert)

kin tama

:) I love that one! Loved ever since I saw it on the PMWF. Nice Lumi-Radiomir combo!

As for no-dates... Not really a whole lot out there. My advice would be to build one since you're already versed with putting watches together... Start with an MBW case of the genre of preference, and add genuine dial, etc.

As an example, here is a Tudor 7928 I put together...

106094-25046.jpg

:)

Well here is my watch of the week! It's from Paul and it's a c. 1963 5513 w/ the Explorer type dial and the T<25 added on either side of the Swiss, at the bottom (Vintage Rolex Sport Models, Skeet and Urul, page 38). ETA movt, 38.5mm case (correct size), domed T-19 crystal, large holes in the lugs, hollow mid link bracelet w/ safety clasp (riveted bracelet would be more correct technically), decent bezel and insert, retaining ring at the crystal. I modded the crown guards and might put in a gen case tube and crown later, but this watch would have had the early triplock crown and tube (no outer o-ring on the case tube) originally. And the great Paul price. The lume on the dial is subtle, a nice antique off-white yellow, not the overdone yellow of previous vintage watches. It's not an MBW, but it's awfully close and a great deal for the price IMHO.

I just can't figure out why they put an ETA 2836 inside, you don't need the date or the day feature, but I guess that's all they use for movements over in China! They even take an ETA 2836 and make a GMT and a Day-Date (Rolex) out of them. Chinese modded ETA's.