When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

OH NO!..... I've just ruined my Speedmaster dial

Lazoon

I spilt a drop of loctite on my Speedmaster watch face today & have completely ruined it.

Does anyone know where I can get a replacement

It was a Ruby Speedmaster, The Ruby version of the Speedmaster came top in a Repgeek review for accuracy.

I know Ruby won't be of any help as she seems to be winding down her watch sales.

Any advise from any technical guys out there would be welcome?

Lazoon (U.K.)

:(

Any advise from any technical guys out there would be welcome?

It's a little late, but never, ever, ever use Cyanoacrylate glues near watch parts.

Ever seen CSI where they use superglue to pick up fingerprint grease with the fumes? Well, inside your watch is full of little pockets of grease that superglue fumes love to stick to. Fumes on the inside of a crystal will fog it up, too.

However, if you get superglue on anything, Acetone is the way to remove it. This may lift paints (like on dials or hands) but it's sometimes your only choice.

ok I'm a little lost here Pugs are you saying that Loctite and super glue are essentially the same thing?

ken

Loctite in the UK is best known for "Loctite Superglue 3"

"Loctite is a brand of adhesives, which includes acrylics, anaerobics, cyanoacrylates, epoxies, hot melts, silicones, urethanes and UV/light curing adhesives."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loctite

Loctite in the UK is best known for "Loctite Superglue 3"

"Loctite is a brand of adhesives, which includes acrylics, anaerobics, cyanoacrylates, epoxies, hot melts, silicones, urethanes and UV/light curing adhesives."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loctite

But "superglue" is a generic consumer term that's often misused as a byword for "strong", rather than for its composition.

Lazoon - you say you've spilled "loctite", which suggests to me threadlocker adhesive (the only glue you'd be messing around with near an open watch dial I hope), which AFAIK isn't cyanoacrylate-based. If it's blue/semi-perm threadlocker, then heat will break the molecular bond and perhaps allow you to remove from the dial. About your only hope.

But "superglue" is a generic consumer term that's often misused as a byword for "strong", rather than for its composition.

Lazoon - you say you've spilled "loctite", which suggests to me threadlocker adhesive (the only glue you'd be messing around with near an open watch dial I hope), which AFAIK isn't cyanoacrylate-based. If it's blue/semi-perm threadlocker, then heat will break the molecular bond and perhaps allow you to remove from the dial. About your only hope.

No such luck, this is loctite 638 assy lock, its green in colour, I use it for all sorts of things, it secures things for good. I just got a bit careless & didnt set a couple of specks on the dial.

Its better than loctite as it gives you more time to fit and adjust. I am aware of the vapour that these chemicals give off.

It was only in the bright sunlight that I noticed the specks, Intially I just thought the were specks of dirt & tried to carefully clean them off with mr sheen, unfortunately the very thin film of what I believe is some sort of laquer started to show signs of lifting off the face.

Thats when I stopped & got really [censored] off.

I actually managed to get fit the domed lens & put it all together, it was only when I was using the chrono that the second hand came adrift which was the start of my nightmare.

if any of you guys do hear of a Dial for sale, I would really appreciate it if you could let me know.

Thanks guys.

Lazoon (U.K.)