When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

2836 Not hacking

highoeyazmuhudee

The hacking lever has come out of it's slot in the clutch wheel. Since it's very thin and small and made of brass, the odds are that it's now crushed and will need to be replaced.

Is it like the one on the 2892?

I've never stripped a 2824/36 that deep, so it'd be a good perspective.

are there any tutorials around that show you how to get to the hack lever in a systematic order so I can inspect it? I only found one for a 2892 which I believe is different, and my local watch maker in the shopping centre is asking $300 for the repair and a servicing (and that doesnt include taxes). YIKES

Download and print the ETA datasheets from the ETA website for the 2836 (if you haven't already), they show clearly how to get at the hacking lever under the winding bridge. Rotor comes off, then the autowinder, then the mainspring gear, then the mainspring plate. Parts from different calibers are not interchangeable you are going to have to find a 2836 lever.

$300 - that is about twice as expensive as it should be for a full service on an automatic.

I disassembled the movement to either replace or reset the hack lever, luckily it wasnt crushed and seemed to be in its place. But now Im trying to understand the interplay between the two parts circled as im not sure how they go back together. The parts in the exploded view on the oil chart look different than the "same" parts in the directory of parts on the oil chart (which mine look like)

post-10838-125308052807_thumb.gif