When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gen Omega De Ville restoration

cenobyt

Hi all,

Not sure this is the correct section to post this in but I'm looking for some opinions. This watch is roughly 40 years old and in need of some real love, just not sure if it's worth it. I've attached some pictures so you can check it out. Clearly the crystal is broken on the corner just under the date. The caseback has some chunks taken out of it and there is a real issue with the crown. The case has some obvious oxidization. When shaken, you can feel what I think is the movement bouncing around inside. Oddly enough the thing still works.

Opinions?

post-7361-125260628545_thumb.jpg

post-7361-125260632711_thumb.jpg

post-7361-125260635661_thumb.jpg

post-7361-125260641476_thumb.jpg

Does the watch have any history for you (your fathers, inherited, etc)? If so then let your heart decide what to do. If not then I am not sure that there would be any "value" in the restoration. Looks like it needs quite a lot. However, I am no expert so I couldn't tell you if it is worth doing or not. BEst of luck with your decision!

:drinks:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

Just to chime in. I've had a restauration done 2 years ago of my dad's old watch. It was similair to this one (a gold plated Bulova, about the same age I guess). Costs weren't that high. I got a new gold plating, 10 micron, which was only around €80, say $110. Omega itself uses a much thicker layer of gold if I'm correct, 30 or 40 microns. Also my usual watchmaker serviced the movement and I got new generic hands, a new generic crown and a new generic crystal. Total cocts was around € 200. Any watchmaker could do it. But, for me, it was important to restore the watch and be able to wear it. I didn't really care searching for original parts. Put a nice croc strap on it and it's like new! Be sure to bring tisseus when your mom sees it :)

Hi I can help you with this if you like, your watch is a gold capped watch and boneventure is correct the plating on these is around 20-30 microns. It is not a electro-plated watch, the gold is applied by pressure and heat, sort of like a gold leaf heat applied.

The movement is a 500 series, not sure which one but I guess at 563 or 565.

The watch is definitely worth restoring, these old De-villas are gaining in price as there is such a history behind this particular series of movement. It's a must keep and a hair loom.

I have two omega constellations from around the same period, which I would not part with.

If you want to learn more about your watch go to :- http://omega-constellation-collectors.blogspot.co.uk

From there you will find lots of links and all about the history of Omega, very interesting !