When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Help me start a vintage project please!

Guest HaloArchive

Guest HaloArchive

Hello Guys,

So, after me wanting to beat my noob and realizing that it is not the proper sub to beat, I have decided to start a vintage project :)

First off, what model should I build? I want a sub that has parts easily avalible for when I pony up the cash to add to the watch.

Second, I want a watch with a case set that is able to accept gen parts with little to no modding so that, I can wear it with rep parts and do a sort of rep to franken to gen type of idea.

Any ideas? Oh, please list where I can get these parts from. If you saw DW, I do not know how to contact him :/

Cheers~

H

Guest HaloArchive

6263 is a too expensive project. If I could make an asymm pusher with working chrono and correct thickness case, I would go for it but, I cant wear it as a "work in progress" watch. If I could get information of one that I could wear like that, I'd love it. I checked WM9's website.. is that the same as WBK? I have not really followed the whole vintage thing on Rolex.

Thanks!

H

BK has the best modern sub with the WM9 v2. The MBW subs take gen parts so they are a good watch to wear and upgrade as you go. Have you looked at the Spinmaster 7760 6263? It is a great watch. The only drawback is that the subdial spacing is a little off. You can add a gen crystal, crown and band later if you like.

You can get a 7750-powered 6263 with asymmetrical pushers from DW for $300. The (middle) case is very close to the dimensions of a gen 62xx Daytona & will accept many gen parts (crown/tube, pushers (usually), crystal, etc). Then, at some point in the future, if you feel the need to improve it, you (or your watchmaker) can remove the auto-wind assembly (to turn the auto-wind 7750 into a manual-wind pseudo 7760), which lowers the height of the movement enough to allow you to fit DW's (lower profile) V72 kit caseback. Depending on your will & resolve, you could even mod the case to accept a V72 (though this would also require that you swap the 7750 dial out for 1 of DW's dials made to fit the V72).