When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Bought my first Tag - Link Professional chronograph

jmb

I decided I needed a chrono, and since it looks like the A7750 Daytona movements are probably forevermore bug ridden I ordered one with a quarts movement from idolreplicas.com (watcheden's sister site) and it just arrived. I decided on a Tag as I was advised there are actual gens with quarts movements and I didn't want one that would just scream FAKE! I've been told this particular model came/comes in a quartz version but I don't think anybody I have daily contact with will ever know the difference, or care, if that's not the case! This example is supposed to be built using the same casework as the 7750 version and all I can say is it weighs a ton! Well, not really, but at 169 gm it's the heaviest watch in my meager collection.

The fit and finish appear nice and it's only apparent flaw being the "split second" (not sure the correct term but it's the 6:00 subdial) hand is applied a couple of seconds off when zeroed in stopwatch mode and the chrono seconds hand "ticks" don't land on their marks when running downhill. Since the hand lines up with it's marks on the uphill journey I attribute the flaw to some sort of gear backlash. All-in-all it feels like a quality well built piece and for only a little over $100 shipped it didn't break the bank. My only gripe is that I really don't like the styling/general design of the Tag bands - I'm more partial to the "Rolex style" bands.

Here are a couple of pics of the un-cleaned watch as received:

tag_link%201.JPG

tag_link%202.JPG

tag_link%203.JPG

tag_link%204.JPG

Edited by jmb

...I decided on a Tag as I was advised there are actual gens with quarts movements and I didn't want one that would just scream FAKE! I've been told this particular model came/comes in a quartz version but I don't think anybody I have daily contact with will ever know the difference, or care, if that's not the case!

Unfortunately, while there is a Tag Link Chrono Quartz, it's no the same. The sub-dial layout is completely different.

CJ1112.BA0576.jpg

With regard to the reliability of the A7750, with all due respect, I think that the newer 28K hi-beat models are very reliable. A lot of the problems you may have heard about were related to modded movements which are usually required when the sub-dial layout is different than the standard 7750 layout. The Tag Link sub-dial layout is identical to the native one on the A7750, so no modifications are needed.

Therefore reliability is very good. Yes, there are a few do's and dont's (you can read The Zigmeister's A7750 review HERE), this is rgeat movement, that is currently powering most of the replica clones out there and is still in service after many years. I have a Ayerton Senna signature Tag Link, and it's a beautiful piece, which I love.

So in conclusion, if you ever come across a A7750 powered Tag Link, don't be afraid to take the plunge.

Edited by Dudemeister

The seconds at 6 Daytonas are bad news. There are also the Seconds at 9 Daytonas which are fine, as well as the vintage Daytonas with the Lemania/Seagull manual wind which are solid. Accuracy on the vintage ones is the issue. Personally, I don't care too much about the vintage accuracy given Rolex has made so many variations to dials, bezels, etc it's really hard to keep track of everything.

BTW...thanks for sharing. The Link bands are still referred to as one of the most comfortable around.

... The Link bands are still referred to as one of the most comfortable around.

I agree with Toad. The Link's band is one of the most unique bands around, and one of the most comfortable. And these new replicas have managed to do it justice in nearly every detail. :thumbsupsmileyanim: