When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

replica dials

basis280

In my experience they are hit or miss.

If the dial is a bit small, the movement spacer will usually keep it centered in the case as long as the spacer is a good fit and the case/movement clamps hold the movement tight.

Something to think about...

When the dial is too small, it can allow the dial/movement to slide back and forth in the case when pulling the crown out to the setting position etc (depending on the dial/movement mounting method) and scuff the dial paint.

Plastic movement spacers are usually not a good choice if the dial is much smaller than it should be.

If the dial is a good fit in the case and has dial feet, you can usually get by with a plastic spacer as long as it supplies enough tension to hold the dial tight against the front of the case.

One big problem with most plastic spacers is they only hold the dial against the case and the movement is just hanging by the dial feet. If a dial foot breaks or the dial screws come loose...the dial can pull away from the movement and the hands will be levered off if the watch is banged around.

One big problem with most plastic spacers is they only hold the dial against the case and the movement is just hanging by the dial feet. If a dial foot breaks or the dial screws come loose...the dial can pull away from the movement and the hands will be levered off if the watch is banged around.

Or worse, the hands will be brought up close against the dial face & not be levered off. In this case, as they do their normal thing, they will slowly carve out circles in the dial's paint.

wow ... yes, i see your points..thank you ... best to go with original dial , great information ... My measurements were incorrect, original dial is 27.80 mm for datejust quickset .. NOT 28.70 mm as I stated in my original post in case someone used that info .. sorry ..

Edited by basis280