When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Daytona secs @ 6

SilverG

Hello on here too Seilvergecko ;)

Early signs are it stopping intermittently when on wrist. (Leaving it upside down or on side will mean it keeps running as the gears are not resting flat down) and low power reserve.

Watchlover - your avatar is a mix of two of the favourite 911 3.2s i've had - is that guards or cherry red? I briefly had a Cherry Targa and a Guards cab both with the black wheels n roof 8) Hard to find good one's now.

I think I have the same model as yours!

daytona1f.jpg

What I do with all my 7750/chrono watches is to pull the crown out all the way till it stops and then I store after use! So far, DONT JINX ME!!!!!, they're all ok! Don't run your chronos on those that have the se@6 mod! It seems to strain the movement more! Now these are just my style and observation and I am no EXPERT! But, hey, so far so good!

Hike!

Haha thanks Hike. I have the black dial with stick indices, standard on the gen SS models.

BTW your avatar... wow. Those are some insane [censored]! I love the [censored] where you can see veins. I have a lady in my office whose [censored] are insane and you can see a slight vain appearing at the surface.... daaaaayyyyum

I think I have the same model as yours!

daytona1f.jpg

What I do with all my 7750/chrono watches is to pull the crown out all the way till it stops and then I store after use! So far, DONT JINX ME!!!!!, they're all ok! Don't run your chronos on those that have the se@6 mod! It seems to strain the movement more! Now these are just my style and observation and I am no EXPERT! But, hey, so far so good!

Hike!

Do you know what, i just realised that keeping them in a winder is going to make them last a lot longer.

Watch flat = gravity and weight of dial etc above pushing down on extra gear wheels helping to wear them out.

Watch constantly rotating all angles = no gravitational effect pushing down constantly on the extra module gears. They are a lot freer to turn.

Simples :)

Can you elaborate? What exactly is the problem with the sec @ 6?

And what do you mean by "flat" - on it's caseback?

Do you know what, i just realised that keeping them in a winder is going to make them last a lot longer.

Watch flat = gravity and weight of dial etc above pushing down on extra gear wheels helping to wear them out.

Watch constantly rotating all angles = no gravitational effect pushing down constantly on the extra module gears. They are a lot freer to turn.

Simples :)

flat = on caseback, as it is on your wrist on on a desk yes.

Problem = Extra module above movement has gears in to move seconds at 9 to 6. This involves extra gears. Problem is these are not jeweled, just running flat against eachother on the bottom plate of this module. So they will wear out. These extra gears sap power from the drive train of the watch too so it struggles to turn them. Just a bad design.

Fixes -

Service movement, replace crap rep balance = more powerful movement, will keep the watch/extra gears running better/longer.

Remove and strip complete upper module. Clean (ultrasonically) all the gears and plates. Use graphite powder to lubricate them. This allows them to turn a lot easier, reducing friction. So it will turn the second hand smoother and last a lot longer before wearing out.

Say a standard "good" (plenty of crap ones) S@6 lasts 12 months.....service and graphite movement = it lasts double that, 2 years. Hack it every night, that doubles it to 4 years. Only wear it 3 days a week instead of 7, hacking it the other 4 = 5-6 years before crapping out easily imo.

Excellent reply....hack! Hack! Hack!

I think you're an expert! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

flat = on caseback, as it is on your wrist on on a desk yes.

Problem = Extra module above movement has gears in to move seconds at 9 to 6. This involves extra gears. Problem is these are not jeweled, just running flat against eachother on the bottom plate of this module. So they will wear out. These extra gears sap power from the drive train of the watch too so it struggles to turn them. Just a bad design.

Fixes -

Service movement, replace crap rep balance = more powerful movement, will keep the watch/extra gears running better/longer.

Remove and strip complete upper module. Clean (ultrasonically) all the gears and plates. Use graphite powder to lubricate them. This allows them to turn a lot easier, reducing friction. So it will turn the second hand smoother and last a lot longer before wearing out.

Say a standard "good" (plenty of crap ones) S@6 lasts 12 months.....service and graphite movement = it lasts double that, 2 years. Hack it every night, that doubles it to 4 years. Only wear it 3 days a week instead of 7, hacking it the other 4 = 5-6 years before crapping out easily imo.

Yeah, stopping suddenly (you look down and it's stopped, right, then shake your wrist and it starts again?)

That's the extra gears overloading the movement due to them being worn/creating too much friction for the movement to turn them. If you leave it upside down on crystal on desk i bet it would run until the power reserve was all used, try it...

You could get the movement cleaned and serviced and the upper module gears graphited, that would sort it and it would run again....but i would not recommend that on an already worn watch. It's cost about $200, nearly as much as a new watch.

With these the best thing is to get the work done as soon as you buy it, or about 2-3 months after when you know it's a good one.

P.s. Nice speedster, that yours? I took one to Brighton once and turned a whole group of people away from looking at a rare Ferrari to look at the Speedster instead when i pulled up, awesome cars :D

Edited by TheBluePrince

thanks THP

think i just let it stay in the box then, maybe cancel the sec

yes the Speedster is mine, i build my self - my biggest Rep ;-)

Yeah, stopping suddenly (you look down and it's stopped, right, then shake your wrist and it starts again?)

That's the extra gears overloading the movement due to them being worn/creating too much friction for the movement to turn them. If you leave it upside down on crystal on desk i bet it would run until the power reserve was all used, try it...

You could get the movement cleaned and serviced and the upper module gears graphited, that would sort it and it would run again....but i would not recommend that on an already worn watch. It's cost about $200, nearly as much as a new watch.

With these the best thing is to get the work done as soon as you buy it, or about 2-3 months after when you know it's a good one.

P.s. Nice speedster, that yours? I took one to Brighton once and turned a whole group of people away from looking at a rare Ferrari to look at the Speedster instead when i pulled up, awesome cars :D