When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

PAM 250 7753 - Halfway there

Jurgenk

Got tired of waiting for some additional parts so I have proceeded to build this watch

Here's how the 7753 looked as it came from GZ:

2009-267-20-53-47-2-DSC06074.JPG

Not bad, but flaws have been previously observed by me and others, extensively

(wrong tachymetre, wrong depth bezel, wrong AR, wrong crown, wrong CG, wrong dial, DW-- everything but the movement)

Last weekend I cased her up in a new old-school case from T4D/PWC, which accepts the 7753 with some reluctance, and requires some drilling of the movement ring to get the datepush function back online. I also added a T48 1.2mm crown, which gets very close to gen in this setting

2009-267-20-53-47-1-DSC_0421.JPG

Whomever is modding the crown guards at Robert's suppliers' is doing a great job, it is really 95% there.

The crownguard pin needs to be polished yet.

I also like the depth, thickness, and precision of the bezel markings on Robert's watch too.

This is really the best case I've seen for this project.

Here are a few gens for comparison

2009-267-20-53-48-6-12-0-07833.jpg

Pam250-1.jpg

Panerai-250-Daylight-1.jpg

panerai_pam250_01.jpg

My to do list:

Relume hands

install gen dial

install lello/leo 7753 DW

polish sides of bezel, shorten bezel by 0.5 mm (it's actually too deep)

polish crownguard pin

single side AR on sapphire (debating, won't do unless I can get gen yellow color)

Would appreciate your feedback

Let me know if you want details on how to get the movement to sit right.

Hmmm, where have I seen this before? ;)

By the way, I notice you mention the "Tachyme(tre/ter)" being wrong. It actually isn't, it just depended upon where you bought your genuine. North America, G.B. and some other English speaking countries had "meter", other countries (mainly Europe I believe) had "metre".

Different in what way?

Maybe just my eyes but in the top photo the buttons just seem to slope downwards where as the second photo and the gen the directions seems to turn much more inward on the edge of the button?

If I had time Id cut the images and draw some lines on , but its POETS day and Ive had enough of the office today

st4

you've picked up on the exact problem with the 7753 case that creates such a problem with the proportions of an otherwise nice rep with a great movement (aside from the tachymetre)

composite%20angle.jpg

The arc formed by the crown and chronopushers has to be continuous as seen in the gen on the left.

The PWC/T4D case shown on the right has it pretty close once you put in a T48 crown at the right stem length.

The 7753 case was way off in that regard and no amount of buggering with the crown or CG would fix that. Worse yet, its spacing and pushers were way off from standard dimensions and wouldn't take CGs from other cases