When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

bracelet for datejust

helliot

Hey.

I bought a gen vintage Rolex datejust some time ago. It had an aftermarket black lether strap. I would like a two toned ss/gold bracelet for this watch. How is the quality of the bracelets on the rep datejusts? And would this fit my 1982 datejust?

Is it possible to buy a rep bracelet only? Not the complete watch?

Pardon my bad spelling and grammar. As you will have guessed English is not my firs language :p

A good rep bracelet will be the same size as the gen bracelet, so it should fit your gen watch head fine. However, you may need to replace the cheap springbars with gens & better aftermarket springbars.

In my experience, the gold on rep watches tends to wear or get scratched in a relatively short time, which leaves the steel showing through underneath. This is a good way to broadcast to the world that you are wearing a fake watch. However, if you are able to do a bit of parts swapping (changing clasps), I would get 1 of the Italian-made two-tone aftermarket bracelets from thewatchprince.com, which has a generic clasp (no Rolex markings) & swap it out for the clasp on a good rep bracelet (which has the Rolex markings). That way, you will end up with a good, two-tone bracelet with (nearly) the correct Rolex markings, but at a fraction of the cost of a gen bracelet.

Of course, if do not mind paying more, another option would be to search for a used gen bracelet on ebay.

Jubilee bracelets can run from $15-20 for a rep bracelet:

http://cgi.ebay.com/20MM-2-TONE-JUBILEE-BAND-BRACELET-FOR-ROLEX-DATEJUST_W0QQitemZ350257389038QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item518cf79dee&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

to a couple of hundred for a gen:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Factory-Rolex-14k-Gold-SS-JUBILEE-Bracelet-FOR-DATEJUST_W0QQitemZ330358723300QQcmdZViewItemQQptZWristwatches?hash=item4ceaea12e4&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

this one will probably go for at least $150. An '82 TT DJ would be like a 16013 and be 18kt gold, but the 14kt might work.

You could also check Silix- he sells bracelets- it would at least have the Rolex crown on the clasp. But if the watch is gen, who cares if the bracelet is gen- tell 'em you took off the gen bracelet to keep from tearing it up.

Here's a used jubilee off of a 16013 for $850- used in decent shape- the seller says a new one would run $2800! Seems a bit steep to me, but a new TT Dj would run over $6K these days.

Try ebay searches for Rolex Jubilee bracelet and Rolex jubilee band- more shows up under band. There's a guy in Ohio- hitec-pro- as I recall, who has had gen jubilee TT bands for around $200- sells a lot of other gen Rolex parts.