When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Searching for IW3706 rep

Gatchaman

I'm looking for a 3706 rep. Just wondering if the whole dial issue has been resolved with the rep dealers?

A couple of the rep sites I've been to show photos of what appears to be a gen watch. But, the dial problems with this model of watch could have been fixed. Anybody know for sure?

This one dealer, who I was chatting with in Live-Chat, insisted that his $217 3706 had a genuine Swiss 7750 movement in it. The photos of the watch looked to be of the gen too.

I'd like to find the low-beat 21k movement so that I can replace it with a gen 7750 and gen dial.

Hi there

The one I got a year and a half ago didn't have a Swiss 7750 in it, it was asian. I seriously doubt you will find one with a gen Swiss 7750. As a Swiss 7750 is around 350 USD at least, 217 USD for the watch with a gen movement inside isn't a credible offer.

The only flaw ever fixed was the wrong coloured chrono hands (they were changed to white), the dial was never changed. It is highly doubtful anybody will fix this as this model is discontinued by IWC and the newer 3717 rep is so good it gets all the attention.

The worst flaw compared to the Gen in my opinion is the wrong case: the rehaut is too steep. This will also prevent you from using a gen dial, which you can buy regularly on the Bay. The gen dial is too small because of this. I know there are people who tried a workaround to use the gen dial anyway but I have never seen an actual franken of the 3706 flieger.

I like this watch very much but the flaws of the rep forced me to go gen very soon.

Kind regards

Val.

Hey Val,

Thanks for the info. In all the reviews I've read about the rep 3706 none mentioned the rehaut depth issue.

The 3706 is a great watch. I had a chance to buy one 5 years ago for $1500. Don't know why I didn't jump on the deal.

Has anybody tried to make a Franken 3706 with gen case, gen dial and Swiss 7750 movement?

For the 3717, how hard (and how much) is it to get a gen dial? I see quite a few 3706 dials popping up on eBay on occasion.

I've never seen a 3717 dial for sale.

You're welcome. Others will have to help about 3717 questions. I don't really like the newer IWC models so I don't own a 3717.

The rehaut is not really deeper but it has the wrong angle (90 degrees instead of about 75 degrees, roughly guessed). So while the outer diameter of the case might be correct the inner diameter - where the dial would be placed - is too wide...

See Pugs review for pix: Here

If you know where to look you can see it easily.

About that franken with a gen case: I've never seen a case being sold and I doubt it will be a cheaper way to get a good looking 3706. But maybe there is a way to make a spacer ring for the dial so you can use the rep case?

1500 USD is a very good price! I paid 2300 USD and have never seen a better offer since last February.

• 2 weeks later...

I also wanted to make a swiss ETA 3706 franken.

Bought a gen IWC 3706 (just to get the extra old "T swiss T" dial and hands that came with it :bangin: ) and also a rep 3706.

But as said here before - had to realise the rep dial is about 1mm larger than the gen, so the gen wont fit into.

This will require some sort of spacer ring to produce the conical rehaut of the gen.

Sold the gen for a Tudor 79280 chrono - the "Poor Mans Daytona".

But if someone is still looking for a new 3706 rep with the rare white subdial hands just mail me...