When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Problem With The Bezel On An Smp Gmt

This is my predicament; I popped the bezel off to align the insert as described in By-Tor's great pictorial how-to. I saw no click-spring when I opened it. (in my stupidity it MIGHT have flown off).

Anyway, I am left with the bezel, the inner spring-thingy in the bezel groove and the insert.

My SMP GMT does not look exactly like By-Tor's Bond SMP when it comes to the ratchet teeth on the bezel bottom, and what I suppose is the hole for the spring is located near 8 o'clock on the case

(as opposed to 11 on his) The hole is also a lot bigger (like 2mm diameter) My ratchet teeth are pointing down and not inward like on the Bond. I've tried scavenging a spring from another watch, but this, although thin wire, does not allow the bezel to fit snugly on the case, leaving a gap and poor operation. I can't help thinking a little stud or summin in that hole would be better.

What I am asking for is someone who owns a GMT, or knows what it should look like, please explain to me if there is a spring at all, or snap a pic for me of how it's supposed to look.

Any help appreciated

PS: I asked in By-Tor's guide thread first, but I want to reach a broader audience with this.. Sorry for the double-whine.

regards

post-2568-1156464548_thumb.jpg

post-2568-1156464661_thumb.jpg

post-2568-1156465935_thumb.jpg

Edited by Everythingape

That looks like the bezel click system used in the sub reps. A pin and a spring typically go in that hole, but its very possible it sprung out when you popped the bezel off. Someone might have one laying around or maybe can post a picture and you can check the hardware store for something that might work.

Well, this makes sense.. As I cannot see how a normal wire-string could have escaped me. I have been over the accessible parts of the surroundings, but came up with nothing ('cept some M&Ms and some small change). I'll dust the room tomorrow, and see if something turns up.

Thanks for the tip!

Reposted from RWI:

So, I got my $108 Trusty Seamaster GMT, and lovely it indeed is. However, By-Tor (the Rush fan that does the wrist checks and Omega articles) pointed out that the Bezel needed aligning. Well, nothing for it but to read his article on how to do that very thing and ... oh, damn, that's not the same watch.

Popping the bezel off took a lot more effort and force than a thumbnail could apply, for a start. So, I thought before I go any further, I'll shoot a few shots for those that follow my footsteps buying one of these amazingly bargainous watches that want to also align the bezel.

Hopefully, they explain themselves, but if not, feel free to ask questions.

This is the watch with the bezel removed.

107637-24669.jpg

This is the bezel dismantled into its three components: ring, spring and insert.

107637-24670.jpg

Bezel showing ramped notches and watch showing the spring ratchet pin.

107637-24671.jpg

Watch with bezel (without insert) reinstalled.

107637-24672.jpg

Aligned. Yes, it doesn't look it, but that's the angle. Trust me.

107637-24673.jpg

Thanks Chrgod, it didn't bother me either, but I was sitting reading the guide the other night, and thought "what the hell". ;)

And thanks Pugwash for the pics!

So what I am looking for is the tiniest piece of metal and a tiny-tiny spring. At least some good will come of this, my gf will love the

ultra-clean floors.

Well lo and behold what hid in my sofa.. I can't believe my luck, I threw the pillows out of it, and got in close with a big ass flashlight. And there they were, I'd never have suspected those shiny parts were from my watch had I not used this forum and your expertise.

Thanks a lot!

Problem solved, and insert aligned. :)

Blurry photos of the two buggers:

post-2568-1156509686_thumb.jpg

post-2568-1156509707_thumb.jpg

PS: This made me learn my lesson about not just pulling out the Leatherman and having a go at a beautiful watch..

You are a lucky man!! I was reading this thread and realised the parts you were looking for were identical to the ones used for the ratchet on the 45mm/20mm Planet Ocean and I happened to have a spare set.

Got to the last post and I put them back into my spares bag, otherwise you'd have been getting a PM...

You are a lucky man!! I was reading this thread and realised the parts you were looking for were identical to the ones used for the ratchet on the 45mm/20mm Planet Ocean and I happened to have a spare set.

Got to the last post and I put them back into my spares bag, otherwise you'd have been getting a PM...

Congrats on finding and sucessfully completing. These boards are great can't believe the love here. Helping people out that you don't even know, I think im gonna cry.

Well lo and behold what hid in my sofa.. I can't believe my luck, I threw the pillows out of it, and got in close with a big ass flashlight. And there they were, I'd never have suspected those shiny parts were from my watch had I not used this forum and your expertise.

Congrats!

I had a similar experience with my new Radiomir recently. I dropped a screw on the floor. I felt my heart drop as I realised I'd not be able to wear it if the screw were lost. I was amazed I found it. What did I do? I dropped another one and felt my heart drop again. It was quite depressing. I found it the second time too!

Dropping one for the third time was the worst. I felt something was determined I'd not get my watch back together. What a stroke of luck that I found it. I took extreme care after that.

Still, one of the screws was badly stripped on arrival, so it'll probably fall out when it'll destroy the watch. Still, Silix have shipped me spare screws, so while I'll try not to drop any more, if I do, it'll no longer be catastrophic.

Thanks a lot guys!

r11co, I appreciate your thoughts! You would have saved the day. I honestly didn't think I'd find them.

Linder and I had a wake last night discussing it and problem solving.. hehe. Thanks for the support man, I have learned a lot about how similar sexual organs and watch parts are ;)

@pugwash I see what you mean, trying to fit the spring it bounced around a bit, my heart dropped a few times, and then the bezel spring flew out of my hands.. lol I'm not cut out for these micro mechanics I think.

I love how no problem is too small in this forum.

I ordered 3 watches from Andrew today, I look forward to breaking them and come crying to you people! ;)

post-2568-1156517312_thumb.jpg

Edited by Everythingape

Reposted from RWI:

So, I got my $108 Trusty Seamaster GMT, and lovely it indeed is. However, By-Tor (the Rush fan that does the wrist checks and Omega articles) pointed out that the Bezel needed aligning. Well, nothing for it but to read his article on how to do that very thing and ... oh, damn, that's not the same watch.

Popping the bezel off took a lot more effort and force than a thumbnail could apply, for a start. So, I thought before I go any further, I'll shoot a few shots for those that follow my footsteps buying one of these amazingly bargainous watches that want to also align the bezel.

Hopefully, they explain themselves, but if not, feel free to ask questions.

This is the watch with the bezel removed.

107999-24632.jpg

This is the bezel dismantled into its three components: ring, spring and insert.

107999-24633.jpg

Bezel showing ramped notches and watch showing the spring ratchet pin.

107999-24634.jpg

Watch with bezel (without insert) reinstalled.

107999-24635.jpg

Aligned. Yes, it doesn't look it, but that's the angle. Trust me.

107999-24636.jpg

This worked well for me too, although i could not prythe bezel mine off with my thumbnail. Instead, i used the flat section of my swiss army knife blade to very gently pry it off. Worked fine.

Unfortunetly, before doing this, i attempted to pry the insert off wth a tootpick and scracthed it... not horribly, but it still bothers me. So I decided to purchase an aftermarket replacement. which i should have in a day or 2. I must agree wth pugwash on this (in fact it was your review that convinced me to get the watch) say, this is an awesome watch for the money.. really quite beautiful and keeps excellent time.