When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Back from my holidays.. with a freaky (Panerai related) story...

V

So some of you knew that I was away on holidays for a long time (almost 2 months).

While being away something freaky has happened to my gen 112..

One day I noticed that the screw of the main gear on the back was not on its place.. It has been unscrewed and STUCK in the caseback glass. You can imagine my face when i thought 'omg the screw is gonna fell in the movement and then it would need service and buy buy money

The top of the screw had a nice rainbow like colour :p and the strangest thing is that i dont know when that happened.. Until I noticed i had probably winded the watch several times and it worked perfectly.

I didnt had any caseback opener so i decided to put it away and wait until i get back to the uk.

Thankfully my friend Simon had a professional caseback opener which i used couple of days ago and i opened it and fixed it. Now it is not waterproof but at least i can wait a bit until i send it in for the regular service.

Unfortunately I havent taken any pic of the watch like that.. I was very eager to open it and fix it that i forgot!

Other than that I got some very nice new leather hides for vintage straps (post to come) and I had a nice break :)

Wow.....this happens to gens as well?

btw....does this void any warranty from Panerai?

yeap it does happens to gens as well as i have learned ;)

and opening the caseback does void the garantee if you have time left. Mine has expired a year ago so its ok :)

Hm weird that the screw got loose...

As for the guarantee void, how would they know it was open? Do they put like stickers in there or something??

YEs it was ineed very weird.. and no they dont put stickers or anything else so they probably wouldnt know but maybe they have some secret position?

Good karma V .. glad it didn't put a damper on your holiday !!

The watch god's were looking after ya.. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Good to see you on the board .. just sent your CG in for my 202A project, it will be bead blasted, pvd'd and mounted on a very nice case that I got from a good friend here, and the dial is from Fishgodeep .. :)

.. .. I have one more of your cg's left.. B)

I'll be looking for a nice hide for the 202A .. hoping for something special when you post your new hides.. :D

How old is your baby now ??.. must be at least a year old ??? :1a:

AC

Lani

Good karma V .. glad it didn't put a damper on your holiday !!

The watch god's were looking after ya.. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Good to see you on the board .. just sent your CG in for my 202A project, it will be bead blasted, pvd'd and mounted on a very nice case that I got from a good friend here, and the dial is from Fishgodeep .. :)

.. .. I have one more of your cg's left.. B)

I'll be looking for a nice hide for the 202A .. hoping for something special when you post your new hides.. :D

How old is your baby now ??.. must be at least a year old ??? :1a:

AC

Lani

THanks Lani... yeah I know V cgs were quite successful I have to say.. ;)

My son is now 15 months so yes they grow up very fast !!!!

For your 202/A you can do what Simon did and get a PAV99 style strap. I was lucky to find almost a 99% similar hide to the original pav99 in my trip to Greece and the following photos are from the strap I made for him.

Same technique stitching grooves at the edge the whole package without having to pay 1500$ :p

He will post photos the weekend but I have seen them and the combo is AMAZING!

DSC07675.jpg

DSC07674.jpg

P1000677.jpg

P1000676.jpg

Edited by V

Yes V - just got some photos taken as below :)

I love it - great construction , very very comfortable and looks very PAV 99 like IMHO - which was exactly what I sked for !!

Over the moon as they say!!

Nice photos SImon.. I do believe that this is one of the best combos for PVD. I am very happy that you liked it :)

Nice photos SImon.. I do believe that this is one of the best combos for PVD. I am very happy that you liked it :)

As soon as I get my Pam logo buckle back V I will then mail it to you so you can sew it into the strap.. the pics look great !!!

and a belated Happy Birthday to your Son !!!

I'll be in touch.. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

AC

Lani

As soon as I get my Pam logo buckle back V I will then mail it to you so you can sew it into the strap.. the pics look great !!!

and a belated Happy Birthday to your Son !!!

I'll be in touch.. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

AC

Lani

THanks Lani.. yes let me know when you will have the buckle back from the PVD. :)