When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Help with sea water leakage, and being in the middle of nowhere

OK im in the middle of nowhere right now on vacation...I went swimming the other day and sea water got into my brand new AP ROO.....I thought sh!t no watch smith around for another three weeks.....So I have opened up the watch and put it under direct sunlight to dry it out.....Next thing I have thought to do it lightly spray the insides with wd40 to keep the corrosion from setting in...What do you guys think?

Hmmm, I've never contemplated this one before.

My gut reaction, is to flush it with fresh water first (obviously somehow protect the dial/hands), redry it, and then hit it with WD40. (Or a soluable oil if it was available)

If you could decase the movement, I would maybe even immerse it in soluable oil until you got home.

Be interested in others "cures"

Offshore

Bummer jc. Not sure any course of action over a period of say, a few hours, will prevent irreversible damage from the salt as exposed to air. If it were fresh water then.........a different story. I soaked a SD in a Salmon River to the point there was half a crystal of water in the thing (What a Nanuq thing to do, except his would have been part of a concertive 'plan'). Unscrewed the caseback and dried it high above a propane stove. The watch still runs after years.

It is known, but perhaps just Urban Folklore; if you drop a camera into any body of water submerge the entire camera body in a sealed container of fresh water and deliver it to a service center that way. Of course, the theory goes, you are only sparing certain parts corrosion from exposure to O2, that may be returned to service after a complete rebuild. Perhaps that is what you should have done in this case?

I would go with what 'offshore' suggests at this point. Why not?

This got me thinking though. What if we kept at home, and travelled with, a container of say Bergeon 2552 or similar? The mainspring de-greaser. I believe that is the solution 'hack' watchsmiths use in the infamous 'dip and swish' method of cleaning a watch. The entire movement is dipped in the stuff without a single phase of dissassembly save uncasing. Then the jewels are oiled topically and returned to service. The description of the product claims a sparing of 'laquers', but a cleanse and a residual protective layer.

http://www.watchtool.co.uk/bergeon-2552-solution-mainspring-degreaser-p-6539.html

In fact Dems, "One dip" is for the balance. Actually a seperate procedure.

Swish and Dip are a combination of a cleaner, and a rinse.

See here

http://www.agtshop.co.uk/acatalog/Watch_Cleaning.html

You would use any of the cleaners, plus the "Solo Lube" rinse to do a swish and dip!

( I know, I'm home brewing the stuff!) (Solo lube is the biggest seller!!!whistling.gif)

O/S

In fact Dems, "One dip" is for the balance. Actually a seperate procedure.

Swish and Dip are a combination of a cleaner, and a rinse.

See here

http://www.agtshop.co.uk/acatalog/Watch_Cleaning.html

You would use any of the cleaners, plus the "Solo Lube" rinse to do a swish and dip!

( I know, I'm home brewing the stuff!) (Solo lube is the biggest seller!!!whistling.gif)

O/S

+1

Oh dear, I'm doing the +1 thing. Damn.

If the water came in through the stem, it will work it's way into the keyless works, and then under the dial to the motion works and gears... Salt water will most certainly start destroying everything in a matter of days, the only possible hope is to flush it as Dems says, with fresh water, you want every drop of salt water to be washed out. No matter what you do, it's most likely competely ruined. If it was mine, I would flush and completely fill the case with fresh water, and then seal it up. No oxygen should mean little to no corrosion until you get it looked at.