When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Quest for cheap believable "Modern"Daytona

jmb

OK. I have a couple of cheap Daytonas because the A7750 used in the better ones is a POS. I have two that from outward appearances look very nice, pretty good subdial spacing, sexy lines, except ... second hand sweeps all the time. One has as running seconds at 6 which is in sync with the sweep seconds hand and the other uses that dial to cound in "military" time. I know the question has been raised about "deactivating" the sweep seconds along with the 3 and 9 subdials but I haven't seen much activity. I was browsing ofrei's movement catalog and there is a chi movement with no sweep seconds hand and a small running seconds at 6! I have one on back-order and should get it in 4-5 weeks.

I'm thinking the pins for the 3 and 9 subdials could be soldered to the top of the movement so if the small seconds at 6 line up properly (ofrei has no dimensional specs on the movement) I'll just have to figure out how to afix a "dead" sweep seconds hand at 12:00 and set the 3 and 9 subdial hands to the 12:00 position - all will be good!

Or, then again, I may just be dreaming again... :brow: Anybody have any thoughts on this madness?

post-24124-125549429032_thumb.jpg

Hopefully someday I'll get 'round to it! Sux to have to wait 4-5 weeks for a movement that I'll probably put me in the de-motivated zone by the time it gets here!