When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Stiff Crown

watchlover1

I just received my very first AP Safari sec @12 today from Wheaton26. This is an AWESOME watch and GREAT transaction. This watch has been fully serviced so it is good to go.

Since I am not to familiar with these watches I have a question.

Is it normal for the crown to have a lot of resistance when screwing it back in after changing the time? When I go to unscrew the crown to pull the stem out it is easy, I feel the little clicks as I unscrew the crown.

I never hand wind the A7750 movements but tried a few turns and that too had a lot of resistance.

Has anyone else noticed this?

To be ABSOLUTELY CLEAR on this post I am not questioning the Service but to have a better understanding if this is common with the AP ROO reps

Thanks

WL1

I have noted this issue as well on many of these models.

The problem is that the movement stem tube and the case tube are slightly out of alignment. It is a manufacturing defect. I have done some testing, with the movement out of the case, everything works perfectly smooth with no friction or resistance. When you put the movement in the case, you can see that the holes don't line up perfectly, when you insert the stem, the misalignment causes a bit of friction, which causes the resistance when winding, setting the time etc. As well as a problem when you screw the crown down.

It won't cause any issues with the movement and as long as your careful it should not be a cause for concern. Certainly try to be very careful with the screwing down of the crown so as to not damage the case tube or crown threads...