When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How to remove the blue paint from movement screws

deemaster

How to remove the blue paint from movement screws WITHOUT removing the screws? Is that possible? Perhaps place a tiny drop on the screw head and wait an hour while it slowly dissolves the paint? I'm nowhere near experience enough to remove the screws... I mean I could... but I'm not so sure they'd go back in. Ya know?

(( I presume that just because you see a screw-head through the sapphire caseback that it's not always safe to unscrew it long enough to sand off the paint without something in a layer beneath going -pop))

Edited by deemaster

Let me preface this by saying that I agree with Lani - I would leave it as-is.

But if you really do not want to see blue screws, I think you have 3 options -

1. replace the sapphire caseback with a solid 1
  2. remove the screws, strip the paint or replace them
  3. carefully paint the screws with the color of your choice

I see no other options.

I do not think it is paint. The color is made by heating the screws very fast and with a high temperature.

The metal gets stronger that way and gets a classy look.

I can understand you do not like the color because the gen does not have it.

Maybe you can better buy new metal color screws or take them out of a defective movement.

Of course there is a risk you damage your movement when you exchange them.

Other solution is go to a watch-smith and let him service your movement and while doing that can easily exchange the screws.

I do have the same movement and it looks very nice with the screws, looks more like a gen the the gen :)

Edited by Timemaster

As The Zigmeister said, this is not paint. On the Gens, it is actually a heat treat process, that tempers the screw. During the process, the screw changes color, once the blue color is achieved, the correct degree of tempering has been established, giving the screw the desired properties. Of course, on Reps this may just be simulated with some metal die like gun blueing that is baked on. :drinks:

I guess the issue is whether or not we're talking a rep or a gen. In the case of a rep (e.g. Tag Heur Carrera) which should NOT have blued screws, I could see why you would want to do this...otherwise, leave it. I can't be bothered to change it.

You must be clairvoyant Toadtorrent... Day/Date Carrera in particular :)

Edited by deemaster