When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The Revolution: Canon 50D

ammandel

So all you guys know that I've been taking pictures for the last year or so with a camera phone (Nokia N82), but the thing is I've always had a deep deep interest in photography.

For the last 8 months or so I've bought books and read online journals and reviews in their hundreds all about photography so that by the time I actually get a camera I know at least some of what I'm doing!

Today I'm pleased to say after a failed online order I finally have a DSLR, I've purchased a Canon 50D with a 18-200 Lens and I've gotta say, the out of the box results with it are absolutely stunning. I'm going to be travelling to the US on Thursday and doing a road trip. San Francisco to LA, then LA onto Las Vegas and the plan is to take the camera and take some incredible shots to remember it by!

So, while it was fun being the camera phone guy... Today, I graduate to the big league :D

I expect Freddy will be particularly interested in this thread as it is literally a case of someone never having owned a DSLR before taking their first shots..

I present to you my first DSLR wrist shot, in the style of one of my favourite RWG photographers Hikeusa

GMT2 a la Hike (flash used, its 100% dark outside)

4026156723_66d17f0300_b.jpg

and an extra, typical shot :D

4026196317_547986dbe6_o.jpg

The image quality is absolutely incredible but I gotta be honest, taking good shots does take the knowledge of all the factors, ISO, aperature, lens knowledge & shutter speeds. It just isn't "easy" (especially since as of course as yet I havn't seen a daylight with it!)

I look forward to battling with the learning curve!

Edited by ammandel

Also, when I set up my new lighting studio, Pug, Toad and Projectologist all had great suggestions on how to set up the camera. You can check out the thread here

You can see the progression of changes as I changed the lighting and more importantly, the aperture settings on the camera.

Hi ammandel,

i have the same Canon in the European version called EOS50D.

After shooting some pictures you will get used to all the possible settings.

I still have to go to a course but i getting some progress in my shooting capabilities.

The 18-200 is a good travel lense.

For macro and close upt you canbetter buy a good macro lens.

I'm using the Sigma 105 2,8 EX 1:1 MACRO.

Just an example of a sculpture my wife made called "mother and child"

moederenkind2.jpg

And a example of my white also with the 105 MACRO

closedialII-1.jpg

Please share some pictures with us

Capre Diem

Cats

Nice choice. Get some good glass.

Great all around lenses for your APS-C camera:

16-35mm 2.8L Mk2

24-70 2.8L (my favorite workhorse for a decade, and still my favorite all-arounder).

Cheers

PS. I love my 5DMK2 bodies. I have used them daily since last fall/winter and they still have never ceased to amaze me. Highly recommended!!!