When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What would you do? Two watches from Trusty with minor issues...

fijikid

Hi all. Just got these two watches (review of Breitling below). Overall, it's hard to argue that they're super cool looking watches, but at what point do we hold the dealers hands to the fire for their listed claims of watch performance.

Breitling: hands mostly reset to zero. A couple of tries usually gets the minute counter straight up and down, but it's a crap shoot. More annoying: The hour counter hand 'creeps' when the chrono is not engaged. Pushing the reset button puts it right, but it just creeps again, which means to use the chrono, which some advise against anyway, one has to re-set the hour hand prior to starting the chrono, which then works as it should. Before someone chastises me for mis-using or somehow damaging the chrono movement, I am well versed in gen 7750s and my preferred Lemania 5100s. I know my way around an auto chrono. Is this just par for course on an A7750b?

Sinn U1: While keeping very accurate time, the chinese movement'ed U1, sends the second hand around the dial in an erratically jumpy manner. It mostly moves like a low-beat low cost movement, but it will also pause for 3 beats and then catch up, pause for 2 beats, catch up, 4 beats, catch up - then resume it's low-beat march. Looks crap when you glance at your auto watch and the second hand is dancing like Elaine in the famous Seinfeld episode (herky jerky comes to mind).

Is this a 'Welcome To The Wonderful World of Reps' moment for me? Will the U1 settle down and work itself out? The chrono creep is not gonna solve itself, but I also had a titanium and rose gold gen Omega Seamaster chrono that did the same thing.

I AM NOT CALLING OUT ANDREW AT TRUSTY! For real, I'm not. I would order from him again - prolly get the swiss movement for the U1 next time. However, when he says he's checking the watches before sending out, what are they checking for because the way the watches behaved when I first got them must be how they were when "checked" by them. For bargain reps, I'm loathe to send them back to China (20% of the cost of U1!).

So tell me, esteemed forum. What would you do? Full disclosure: The breity was $250 and the U1 was $138 (IIRC). All things must be considered, right?

TIA for any insight on this matter.

I'd get in line to have The Zigmeister do a service on the 7750, because it would have to be done anyway if you want it to live a good life.

The U1 I'd ask andrew to sort out. My request would probably be for a new movement sent to me. Have a local watchsmith install it if you can't do it yourself.

This is kind of what I was thinking...

I'd get in line to have The Zigmeister do a service on the 7750, because it would have to be done anyway if you want it to live a good life.

The U1 I'd ask andrew to sort out. My request would probably be for a new movement sent to me. Have a local watchsmith install it if you can't do it yourself.

Chrono subdial hands not re-setting to zero is a common problem, mostly due to poor quality hand tubes causing the hand to slip on the tube. Epoxying the hand to the post normally fixes the problem.

Creeping 12 hour counter is due to the brake lever not holding the gear in place. Try starting and then stopping the movement (don't reset it) and see what the hand does. It could be the brake lever or the pusher causing the problem, normally it's quite simple to fix during servicing.

Jumpy hands on the chinese movement is fairly normal, most of these models are indirect center seconds driven, which in addition to being 21.6K cause the hand to jump around...getting an ETA with direct center seconds and 28.8K speed is the fix. In this case, higher initial cost does pay off. There is no fix for this one, it's just the way it is...

Hi SD. Really? Obviously it's not meant to look that way, but you're saying that inherent to the movement design, this is normal. The watch keeps pretty darn accurate time and the power reserve is impressive for how little I've worn and wound the watch. Is there some kind of clutch that drives the second hand and let's it slip? Seems to do it more going downhill, noon to 6, when 12 is pointing up. Thanks for the heads up...probably wouldn't have ordered this movement if I knew that...wait, I should have researched the movment? :whistling:

The jerky seconds hand on the Sin is probably due to the movement has an indirect drive seconds. This behavior is normal for that particular design.

Thanks for the reply, Zig. I pretty much expected some of this stuff, so I'm not totally surprised. Like everything, a little extra effort is required to get the maximum benefit! ;)

I'll try your temporary fixes for the hour hand to see if that's the problem. If I end up enjoying this watch, then I will seek a more, ahem, hand's on, approach from you.

Much appreciate the input, sir.

Chrono subdial hands not re-setting to zero is a common problem, mostly due to poor quality hand tubes causing the hand to slip on the tube. Epoxying the hand to the post normally fixes the problem.

Creeping 12 hour counter is due to the brake lever not holding the gear in place. Try starting and then stopping the movement (don't reset it) and see what the hand does. It could be the brake lever or the pusher causing the problem, normally it's quite simple to fix during servicing.

Jumpy hands on the chinese movement is fairly normal, most of these models are indirect center seconds driven, which in addition to being 21.6K cause the hand to jump around...getting an ETA with direct center seconds and 28.8K speed is the fix. In this case, higher initial cost does pay off. There is no fix for this one, it's just the way it is...

the 21j movements suck. I've said it a year ago and I'm saying it again.

Besides, the beat is off. If people know anything about looking for "a fake Rolex" these days, they know "the hand should sweep not tick". These do a little of both. It's like it's having convulsions.

99% of reps require a visit to the ER as soon as you get them, if they aren't already DOA.