When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

An issue with the new 1665 from Josh/Andrew

tr4driver

Well, I was having problems re-installing my bezel assembly on the new 1665 that Josh and Andrew are offering. They advertise that the bezel is the same construction as the genuine; however, it's got the bent wire instead of the flat washer retainer. My problem is, I can't for the life of me get the thing to snap back into place.

The crystal retainer ring has a slight lip on the top of it that I assume the wire has to pop over. In the process of removing my bezel, I think I may have pulled the crystal retainer up slightly as well because there was a gap between the bottom of it and the base of the case. Anyway, I pressed it back down, but when I tried to then put the bezel back on (with the wire in place), the base of the bezel just went loosely down to the base of the case. The wire never hit the lip of the crystal retainer ring. If I pry the crystal retainer ring up slightly, I can get it to catch (kind of).

Needless to say, I'm pretty disappointed with the false claims by Josh/Andrew that this thing is constructed just like the genuine. It's obviously not. Maybe if the crystal retainer ring was replaced a genuine bezel might work(?).

Anyway, I can't figure out how to get the bezel wire to catch on the crystal retainer lip with the retainer pressed all the way down. It seems that the retainer isn't high enough, and the bottom of the bezel hits the base of the watch before the wire in the bezel hits the lip.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.

If you pull up the ring slightly will the bezel then snap into place? If so, maybe you can then press everything down as an "assembly" and then reinstall the insert...

If you pull up the ring slightly will the bezel then snap into place? If so, maybe you can then press everything down as an "assembly" and then reinstall the insert...

Yeah... I thought about that. The insert has to be glued into place, and I was trying to avoid having to apply glue while the bezel is attached to the watch.

you can try sanding the bottom of the insert (figure 8 on sandpaper on glass) and you may want to replace the wire and bend another one. the stainless spring wire is easy to get in correct diameter to fit the recess. sometimes the wire that comes with watch is not spring steel...

Thanks for the suggestions. I popped the insert and was able to get it put back together (sort of). The bezel is still pretty loose.

Again... very disappointed with this watch. The bezel construction is not as advertised by Andrew and Josh. I think a gen-like retainer ring/washer/bezel may work on this watch though. I just don't have one handy.

On a related matter... Once the crystal retainer ring is off, should one be able to pull the crystal off fairly easily (assuming it's not glued down)?

On a related matter... Once the crystal retainer ring is off, should one be able to pull the crystal off fairly easily (assuming it's not glued down)?

No firm answer to that question, because of the variability in rep crystals & case dimensions/quality. Sometimes, after the ring is removed, the crystal will fall off if you turn the case upside-down, but other times it has to be pried off. Unfortunately, like so many things with rep watches, it varies rep to rep. But you should be able to press it out, from inside the case, with your thumbs. Just make sure to point the crystal at something soft as they can take off when released.