When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

ETA movements, parts, to be very limited in future?

magnusson_r

Consdiering that, after 2010, ETA will be severely restricting the distribution of its blank movements ('ebauche'), does it make sense to stock up now on a particular movement?

I understand that it will be very difficult to source whole movements after Dec 2010, and that parts will be difficult to source, and more expensive.

But then again I suppose the Asian factories will step in to fill that role.

Any thoughts?

There are so many parts and complete movements out there that I doubt availability for such items will be a problem or issue for a long time to come. The decision by ETA may have an impact on price, however...

As an aside, I believe ETA is only changing their policy on ebauches as delivered to other watch manufacturers; I'm not sure if that will have any overall impact or change in supplying or supporting service account holders with parts, and the sort.

I'll believe it when I see it. They tried to start that policy back when the economy of the world was booming and there weren't enough movements being made. It was postponed by Swiss courts for several years to give other makers a chance to secure other sources.

Now, with gen watch sales pretty much in the toilet, it makes you wonder what they'll do with all the movements they are making. Do you keep selling outside of Swatch Group, or do you start shutting down factories? My guess is that Eta movements will be available at least until the economies of the world have improved substantially. Probably many years from now.

Getting ETA parts should not be any issue. ETA is all together stopping the supply of movement blanks to companies outside of their Swatch Group. However they will still supply complete movements to which ever manufacture wants them.

For instance Breitling and Tag will not be able to get their movement bases to which they install they own balance and other components making them COSC grade. Whereas companies like B&R, buy the movement from ETA and slap them into their watches, maybe they decorate the rotor a little bit, but they are still buying the entire movement from Swatch.

This really is going to open the door for other companies like Sellita and the others (Forget the company that makes movements for Hublot).

:drinks:

Ya, this is about ebauches, not parts or MVTs. I can't see ETA cutting their own throat by cutting off the supply of either.

I gather the plan was to make those companys buying ebauches to buy complete MVTs instead. This appears to have back fired tho as a lot of them have simply gone to another supplier or started inhouse MVT manufacture of their own designs.

Agree that with the WFC still in full swing things are not near as rosy for ETA/Swatch as they were when this idea first came to light.

They seem to have been downplaying the whole thing themselvs of late.

Col.

For instance Breitling and Tag will not be able to get their movement bases to which they install they own balance and other components making them COSC grade. Whereas companies like B&R, buy the movement from ETA and slap them into their watches, maybe they decorate the rotor a little bit, but they are still buying the entire movement from Swatch.

This really is going to open the door for other companies like Sellita and the others (Forget the company that makes movements for Hublot).

Are you sure TAG/Breitling are doing anything apart from maybe some refinishing to ETA movements they use ? You have some reference for that ? I'm not saying you are wrong, but it's just that I was under impression, especially for TAG, that they use high quality ETAs (you can get COSC grade movements from ETA).

BTW, movements for Hublot used to be made by La Joux-Perret (well, at least HUB 41 movement in HBBs), but I think now they claim to have in-hose movements ...

regards

Are you sure TAG/Breitling are doing anything apart from maybe some refinishing to ETA movements they use ? You have some reference for that ? I'm not saying you are wrong, but it's just that I was under impression, especially for TAG, that they use high quality ETAs (you can get COSC grade movements from ETA).

BTW, movements for Hublot used to be made by La Joux-Perret (well, at least HUB 41 movement in HBBs), but I think now they claim to have in-hose movements ...

regards

Yes, La Joux-Perret! Thanks! I was thinking La Joux....some thing. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I have always wondered about ETA's COSC "Grade" movements. Are they COSC out of the box or do they have the capability of COSC but need to be "tuned" to the requirements.

Breilting & Tag upgrades the ETA movements with Glycur balance & Anachron (sp) main spring. Breilting also manufacture their own escapement & pallet forks (Per Revolution Watch mag., where they speak of the new B01), along with upgraded plates and bridges for upgraded reliability. The fact that Breilting made many of their own components, helped them move into the manufacturing of their B01 as they just expanded onto their movement facility.

To my understanding Tag does not do as much as Breilting (This is one reason I feel Tags are not worth their asking price)On some of Tags newer Carrera pieces they replace the entire ETA balance/escapement system with their own module and crank up the movement to 36,600 BPH. Just search the net for some of their new watches and you can read about how Tag accomplishes this.