When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How To Identify A Vintage Mbw Rolex

ubiquitous

Good idea, Arch! :)

I decided to keep this breakout rather simple, with just a brief run down on things I have observed with each model's genuine counterpart occuring in the market and how they relate to the reps.

For the 1680's...

-Red font - The red 1680 is still priced somewhat affordably, so seeing one isn't impossible, though most collectors know that the fakes are typically of this dial variation. There are some key details (specifically on the dial) with this one that identify it as a replica; hence even more reason why I like the white font variation better.

-White font - Most plausible, and easier to replicate using a genuine dial (white font dials are easier to find, and less expensive). This one can be made 99% (in my opinion).

For the 1665's...

-DRSD - Most desirable, though more common through 6 dial variations and longer run of production. Again, slight dial descrepancies exist that make it easy to identify as a replica.

-White font - Rarer in terms of actual numbers; shorter production run and a good portion of the white font dials have been swapped out to create DRSD's. This dial variant is not as desired as the DRSD, but is my preferred dial of choice due to it's plausibility.

-SRSD - The rarest of the bunch, though not even closely plausible; case is wrong, dial is wrong, and seeing as how there are very, very few in circulation, this is one that is ridiculous to pull off in terms of credibility.

-COMEX - Along the same lines of the SRSD, this one is so rare and valuable that it is extremely difficult to be convincing. Aside from the fact that the dial and caseback is again, incorrect, this one just says fake at a glance to those who know.

No Dates...

5512 - As a watch that can still be found relatively easily on the market, the 5512 continues to represent a bargain in terms of vintage rolex watches, as it's at a price point that is still relatively affordable.

5513 - The 5513 is a fairly common watch as of current, with an extremely long production run until the late 80's. This watch is also very affordable, and available at a price that signifies a true entry level into the market of vintage Rolex.

Hope this helps!

Best,

R

Great post....I think plausibility is the #1 factor in pulling off any rep, especially well-known brands.

• 2 weeks later...

Randy,

I have to take a bit of exception with your premise and add that I think one's ability to credibly pull off a 'rare' (SS Rolex) rep is in direct proportion to: 1. the audience/viewer's knowledge and experience level. Joe Q. Taxpayer and 99% of his fellow taxpayers (even most who own gen Rolexes) wouldn't know a DRSD from a standard issue Sub (though a small number of average Rolex owners can generally spot the difference between a vintage acrylic crystal and modern sapphire crystal and other fairly salient feature differences); 2. the context in which the watch is worn. Seeing a rare Rolex watch on the soiled arm of a Spanish-speaking landscape technician in a McDonald's or on a guy queuing in the local grocers with a fistful of dole coupons would be a hard-sell, to say the least. But I don't think the same watch poking out from beneath the cashmere sleeve of an obviously well-to-do patron dining in an upscale restaurant would raise any suspicion at all; and 3. the quality of the rep. I'd challenge all but the most hyper-critical Rolex WIS to out a well-modded MBW or one of your marvelous Daytona creations if worn with appropriate dress and in the right environment.

My experience has always been that the vast majority of people you come across during the course of an average day will recognize only one thing: the ROLEX name or design (if a Sub/SD and, possibly, Daytona). After that, the game's yours to lose. If you look like you belong with a Rolex, you act like you can afford a Rolex, then noone will be the wiser.

On the other side of the coin, the sad thing is that since few people can see beyond (or are knowledgeable enough to appreciate) the various models, noone will appreciate the rarity or simulated value of your watch either. To the guy in the street, A Rolex is a Rolex is a Rolex is a Rolex. The worst thing I've heard in reaction to the (modded MBW) DRSD I often wear came from a friend who's family used to own a chain of rather well-known jewelry stores; and his comment was "Oh, you couldn't afford a real (gold) Rolex?!" And that, truly, is the worst I've ever heard.

Edited by freddy333

Randy,

(If there's anyone who knows the answer to this question, it would be you.) Do you know the number of DRSDs produced, vs. the number of Great Whites? Perhaps the number can be inferred from serial numbers?

Edited by avitt

• 1 year later...