When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Replacing movement

Chips81

There are two options -

1. Fit the High Canon Pinion DG4813, I think these are available from Eurotimez and are a direct swap

2. Fit a new or used ETA or clone 2836-2 but you would need to replace or mod the dial feet as they are in different positions, and change the hands which are a different size (Tudor ones obtainable from ebay for not a lot of money)

If you do decide on the 4813 you are going to have to get it from Eurotimez as they are the only ones (in all of my research) that have the correct tall-canon version. I can personally state that cousins and ofrei ship the low canon and ofrei told me they only come in a low version! Of course, if you are building a no-date then you can use the low one.

• 2 weeks later...

With regard to the DG 4813, Does anyone know when shaking the watch if you can hear the movement moving inside? I have a cheap movement in my rep and everytime i walk or move my hand, I can hear the movement moving and winding. When wearing a gen watch this is non evident.

Thanks MJ

My DG 4813 did rattle, and that is why I changed it out. I think it's a good movement. One of the more accurate movements I have (among 6 ETA movements). When you gently shake it you can hear the rotor. It actually touches the bridges. Doesn't seem to affect the operation though. I inspected it and that seems to be the way it made.

Regarding the hands...I recommend getting the Noob hands from BK, whether DG or ETA, although 2813 hands will fit nicely on a 4813. $20 shipped in CONUS. I bought some "Tudor" hands off of the bay and hour hand was too short and looked funny and the minute hand's lume line was too thin. This is only if you are a WIS, like me. The bay people just say "Tudor" because it does fit an ETA movement, which Tudor subs utilize.