When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Any way to get a 2893 into a GMT?

JohnDorian

There seems to be lots of reports that the 2836 ETAs modded to be GMT isn't the best solution out there. Apparently the mods break down easily and they're a pain to work on even in the incorrect hand stack versions.

Has this been your experience?

Is there any way to fit a 2893 which is designed by ETA to be a GMT movement into a current GMT rep case?

I'm thinking about putting together a franken GMT but the movement bothers me.

2893 is thinner than the 2824 and 2836 so I think the crown position would be off for existing cases.

Exactly! But maybe stilty could get you a ring that would hold the movement in the case in the corrrect position- kind of like he does for the Datejust frankens.

Yeah, I guess you're right, which means you're back to square one.

But, back at square one, your first premise of the 2836 GMT w/ incorrect handstack (IHS), I thought those were fairly reliable. Might need a service/cleaning, but OK otherwise in my experience. CHS movements are not so reliable though.

A year ago or so, I thought river had an Explorer II w/ an eta 2893-2 in it- not cheap, but a nice movement, of course.

The 2836 GMT mod is certainly no where near as reliable as a 2893. The ICHS 2836 GMT is pretty fragile.

While I have certainly heard that about the CHS versions. I have not heard any claims of issues surrounding the ICHS version of the 2386 as long as you actually got a gen ETA. This is simply 1 gear driven from the date, and from my understanding, the very same parts as the 2893.

This article sums it up: (sorry for the other-board post, I'm on a lot of these, and this is where I knew where to find it)

http://www.repgeek.com/showthread.php?t=4712