When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Why are you selling your watch?

P4GTR

I consider myself a hobbyist more than anything. I love the pursuit of modding watches, searching for parts, and waiting. Some I keep and some I sell to move on to the next project although this only applies to reps I buy/own. My gens stay in the stable long term. My friends consider me a practical and logical person. If it is not being used, then might as well consider it wasted space? I'm not rich by any means, but it doesn't necessarily mean I couldn't afford to keep them. With that being said, I wonder if those who have to sell their reps to pay utility bills should even be in this game << FYI: That was not intended to offend anyone...I just considered it common sense? :surrender:

I look at it in the same was as with gambling: Never gamble more than you can afford to lose. I wouldn't, and don't, buy watches if I can't afford to, as bills (sadly) have to come first. As you say, it's common sense, and a case of prioritizing funds. Not always fun, but such is life... :bangin:

For someone with a low income, even 'a cheap watch' can be an expensive purchase... It just depends where one is on the financial ladder. To Tony Stark, a gen sub would be considered 'a cheap watch', it's all just a matter of perspective ;)

I've not yet sold a watch to purchase a new one, but I did sell off my collection to pay for my wedding and reception, and, if I was absolutely desperate for cash, then I would do so again.

Good point TJ, duly noted. :) Mike

I admit- There have been times where, upon completing a project, I might post a feeler for trade, etc. This doesn't happen often, but when it does, it's usually cause I'm already bored and need a new project.

As with any hobby, things only stay interesting as long as there's something to do :)

Very true :good:

For someone with a low income, even 'a cheap watch' can be an expensive purchase... It just depends where one is on the financial ladder. To Tony Stark, a gen sub would be considered 'a cheap watch', it's all just a matter of perspective ;)

I've not yet sold a watch to purchase a new one, but I did sell off my collection to pay for my wedding and reception, and, if I was absolutely desperate for cash, then I would do so again.

hehhh hehhh, I guess you are right. Some members are students here, so income can be tight. Some are still looking for work and need to impress at the interview.. I get it now.

But most can afford a budget noob watch, like a Reg PO. Some people have iphones on data plans that cost more than a watch!

hehhh hehhh, I guess you are right. Some members are students here, so income can be tight. Some are still looking for work and need to impress at the interview.. I get it now.

But most can afford a budget noob watch, like a Reg PO. Some people have iphones on data plans that cost more than a watch!

Indeed, budget watches are more easily obtainable, but what I was meaning, is depending on someone's income, say for example someone living on disability, even a budget watch can be an expensive purchase, in terms of how much disposable income they have.

As above, I think the sensible thing to do is to only spend (on anything) what is spare cash. If that means saving up, so be it, and of course, it depends on to wha extent someone wants to 'get into the game'... Do they want to get a load of watches, or only a few select models... All things to be considered :)