When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

DSSD Watch crystal

PeteM

Hi

I am new here as you can tell! I have tried to do as much research as I can using the search tool, etc. But one issue I cant seem to resolve in this way is the DSSD watch crystal on the V5.

I cant seem to find any comments or reviews relating to its AR or the lens effect of its crystal. Has the quality of these improved with the later versions? What is it like compared to the gen? What about the latest V5.3 has this been improved from previous versions? does anybody know yet?

I suppose the question is really would you Rolex officienados, if you bought one, replace or AR the crystal?

I apologise if this has been covered but I havent had any luck finding the answer on my own unless I am having another one of my bald moments!! :D :D

Rolex does not AR their watch crystals.

Some Rolex watches with magnifying cyclops lenses have a tiny AR spot under the cyclops. Nothing more.

Their reason is that AR gets scratched and worn, and they don't like that.

You could AR your DSSD or ANY Rolex watch crystal but it certainly would not be authentic.

As for the DSSD's "loupe effect" .. it is a very very thick crystal in the Rep and in the Gen as well. It's certified for almost four kilometers depth!! So yes, there is a lens effect. My v5 needs to be tilted +45 degrees to view this effect, however.

Rolex does not AR their watch crystals.

Some Rolex watches with magnifying cyclops lenses have a tiny AR spot under the cyclops. Nothing more.

Their reason is that AR gets scratched and worn, and they don't like that.

You could AR your DSSD or ANY Rolex watch crystal but it certainly would not be authentic.

As for the DSSD's "loupe effect" .. it is a very very thick crystal in the Rep and in the Gen as well. It's certified for almost four kilometers depth!! So yes, there is a lens effect. My v5 needs to be tilted +45 degrees to view this effect, however.

Thankyou, I appreciate the replies. I wasnt sure and its nice to get confirmation.

Thanks again

Guest techlogik

Do some more reading...

Anyway, the DSSD Gen does NOT have AR. So that is accurate on the rep. You can have Chief do AR...there are photos I think on Vacs section showing the difference...but it isn't Gen like to do this. But if you like AR, worth the $95 to have it done with Chief, it is amazing.

Also, there were some changes from the V3 to the V5 crystal. The V5 might have slightly more distortion as you look at it from an angle due to other issues they were resolving while making it. It is nothing major unless you have them side-by-side to see the difference between the versions and Gen though. Doesn't bother me personally.

Who knows what has been done with the crystal, email Eurotimez, they will tell you, then report back to us if there have been any crystal updates. I didn't think there was though.

Do some more reading...

Anyway, the DSSD Gen does NOT have AR. So that is accurate on the rep. You can have Chief do AR...there are photos I think on Vacs section showing the difference...but it isn't Gen like to do this. But if you like AR, worth the $95 to have it done with Chief, it is amazing.

Also, there were some changes from the V3 to the V5 crystal. The V5 might have slightly more distortion as you look at it from an angle due to other issues they were resolving while making it. It is nothing major unless you have them side-by-side to see the difference between the versions and Gen though. Doesn't bother me personally.

Who knows what has been done with the crystal, email Eurotimez, they will tell you, then report back to us if there have been any crystal updates. I didn't think there was though.

Reading is all I seem to do :D , being a newbie to the forum and reps. I do try to search as much as I can. I wont ask a question unless I have struggled to find an answer on my own. I understand how frustrating it can be for you more informed guys to read inane posts from us newbies. I am trying and if I do ask a stupid question then I apologise its not for want of searching that I make it.

I have already Emailed Neo, but I am yet to receive an answer but when I have one I will let everyone know.

Thanks for your answers I do appreciate your patience. :thumbsupsmileyanim: