When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

DG 4813 ?

p-lund

If you're going to order the DG4813 at the same time as the A21J...the extra cost is 50% of the cost of going the ETA clone route which generally costs about $100 more vs. $40 for the DG4813.

The 21J movement should be fine for awhile...and a replacement movement is cheaply found and easy to swap in by any watch repair person.

Assuming the 21J movement you are ordering is the 2813, the 4813 with the proper high hour hand will be a straight swap (with a swap of the datewheel as well).

The DG4813 and DG2813 are different only by the sweep. The 4813 is smoother...but some consider it less reliable...others consider reliability to be the same.

Servicing on the 4813/2813 is never done as the cost of service is more than the cost of the movement and no parts can be found. You just run them until they die, then swap the movement out.

With the ETA clone...these MIGHT be fixable with ETA parts (sometimes yes...sometimes no)...but definitely can take a gen ETA movement down the line if you decide to swap it out...with a gen ETA movement purchased from a reputable supplier getting you a new one, in the blister pack...you would be good to go for 5 years before servicing.

If you're thinking of the watch as something you want in the stables for awhile...go the ETA clone route. For a cheap and cheerful, disposable watch you can use on for learning when it dies down the road...go the DG2813 and don't worry about the sweep difference. It's not that bad.

Toad, I believe the differences between the 2813 & 4813 are a little more than the difference in beat. I believe that the 4813 is a slightly thinner movement than the 2813, which can cause some issues with the crown/tube alignment. Also, as you mentioned, you have to be sure to get one with the higher hand stack, or else there may be issues with hand clearance on the dial. Unfortunately, these movements are hard to find.

Toad, I believe the differences between the 2813 & 4813 are a little more than the difference in beat. I believe that the 4813 is a slightly thinner movement than the 2813, which can cause some issues with the crown/tube alignment. Also, as you mentioned, you have to be sure to get one with the higher hand stack, or else there may be issues with hand clearance on the dial. Unfortunately, these movements are hard to find.

Yeah...my reference material shows the 2813 to be 5.87mm and the 4813 to be 4.60mm. The thickness delta didn't seem to make a difference when I did the swap on mine from 2813 to high hand 4813...using the same movement holder and everything. I just had to swap the dial spacer for the datewheel overlay.

I have yet to order one from HW Perrin or Somal to see which version they can supply...presumably the short hour hand. :(

• 2 weeks later...