When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Parting out Gen PAM to fund franken?

milesd

Okay, this is getting a bit ridiculous! I'm considering buying a PAM to part out just so I could get the case, cg and crown. I want to build a Custom PAM40 with a Pre-A Marina dial, but I've owned about 10 Ti cases now and they all aren't cutting it (Horrible CG quality).

There is a PAM116 base tobacco dial on ebay with no box or papers. Do you think I could sell the following items off it, and if so, what price:

OEM PAM Base E movement - $???

OEM PAM Base Tobacco Dial - $???

OEM PAM Base Hands (no seconds) - $???

OEM PAM Titanium Caseback with E serial number - $???

TOTAL: $???

Buy it - keep it

Get a new ETA , 040 Dial , Jakob caseback and you can swap and change the combo when ever you want - still retaining the original 116

Just my 2p

FGD

hmmmmm, but I think the original idea of parting it out is because I don't have the cash for the entire gen. I'd buy it, then sell off the parts to help "soften" the cost of the gen case.

Either way, the 116 sold so this idea is out until I can find another cheap gen.

I understand the desire to get a genuine or at least a top quality Ti case. In my experience the Ti cases aren't too bad - probably just as good as most of the SS cases - but I do agree that the CGs leave a lot to be desired. At the moment I have a good Ti case complete with a solid caseback and reasonably good CG. I also have a genuine Ti crown and a used Jimmy Fu SS CG. I am contemplating getting the JF CG beadblasted with aluminium oxide (aluminum if you're on the wrong side of the Atlantic) to achieve a Ti appearance. This would give me a really accurate basis for a good Ti rep.

Incidentally, I used to have a gen F116 which I never should have sold. The CG on that watch was not as precise as my gen SS PAMs - I assumed that the Ti, being softer than SS, had worn around the pin assembly allowing it to become loose.

I have bought watches to part out in the past when I needed a couple of specific items for a franken. You just need to be careful what you pay. IMHO, the prices you get for standard parts have fallen at the same time that the second-hand gens seem to have risen in price. It is much more difficult to do it. Now the only way I do it is to part it out in advance of the purchase. My conservative rule of thumb is that you need to buy a gen hand wind for under $3,000 for it to work (ignoring what you were willing to pay for your parts). I would guess the following prices on parts (but I am conservative):

E movement - $1,000

Tobacco Dial and Hands - $800 (on a good day)

Caseback - $300 - 400

So what would you pay for a full case set with crystal and no back? $1,000 - $1,200? The total is then approximately $3200. And of course you should never take apart a gen. ;)