When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

blackbird issue?

rdorman

I am not sure if this is an issue with my new Blackbird, stunning btw, or my lack of understanding when it comes to the chronograph function. I thought the dial at 9 was a minute counter and the one at 6 an hour counter for the chrono. As I am setting here, I have run the chrono for 30 minutes. the dial at 9 is pointing halfway between 30 and the first large tick between 30 and 10. if the first large tick is 5 then it would be at what I would consider the 2.5 point. The dial at 6 is at the halfway point between 12 and 1 so that seems correct.

Is the watch functioning properly? Is this a rep issue? Is this a user issue!?!?

Thanks

it looked to me the minute pointer at 9 was pointing at 5 minutes and the hour pointer at 6 was pointing at 30 minutes after 30 minutes of running the chrono. I am going to run it for a couple of hours starting now and see what it says. it is now 1:07 EST so we will see what happens!

Edited by rdorman

Sorry, been away for Thanksgiving.

OK movement masters! I let the chrono run for a few hours and watched the results. Everything worked normal except, the minute register at the 9'0clock dial never moved past the couple of minute marker, ever. So, that is not working correctly.

If you have run across this and are familiar with the fix for this movement, please chime in!

It is new from one of our dealers so an exchance is certainly the first and formost option. But, i am interested in Learning about the problem and exploring options. I like the piece so much that I am thinking about going full tilt mod on it. A&r, service and/or gen movement, lume, strap and deployment etc. Either way, please keep up the responses and I will be sure to let u know how it goes. Sorry about the punctuatioN but on the iPhone having a nice cold Tito's!

I'd send it back to the dealer.

As for modding this model, there really isn't much you can do beyond AR. If you like the watch and are serious about modding, look at the chronomat evolution. That watch is very similar to your BB, but is a much better platform for modding.

Thanks Andrew, and it will most likely go back for replacement.

But, I am interested in someone who is familiar with the movement chiming in and educating me about what could be the issue, if it is common, what could be done about, etc.

As for modding, it is rep AR which while not cheifTangs, is ok. It won't last which I know. Putting a gen movement in it I have not yet researched. But, all the rest I can think of I can do. This is the model I am thinking about and want or I would have bought the evolution! Appreciate the feed back even though it is off topic.

Edited by rdorman

Off topic? I am telling you that this watch ca not be updated with gen parts. The gen uses a caliber 44, based on an eta 2892. The rep is a modified 7750. A gen movement won't fit the rep case, a gen dial won't fit the rep movement, gen hands won't fit, and neither will any other part.

If you are going to mod a watch, you need to start with a rep that is at least based on the same caliber as the gen.

Off topic? I am telling you that this watch ca not be updated with gen parts. The gen uses a caliber 44, based on an eta 2892. The rep is a modified 7750. A gen movement won't fit the rep case, a gen dial won't fit the rep movement, gen hands won't fit, and neither will any other part.

If you are going to mod a watch, you need to start with a rep that is at least based on the same caliber as the gen.

Yes, off topic. I mentioned modding the watch but the topic has to due with the minute counter at the 9 oclock position and if it was functioning correctly. Obviously, it is not. Thank you for the info about the gen movement not fitting though. Although, we both know that more can be done then just AR. If I am going to mod a watch, I will start with one that I would like to. If I want to create a franken, then I would have picked a more appropriate model.

Edited by rdorman

The issue is the added transfer gears taking the counters across the dial. The base movement (a7750) has minute counter at 12 and seconds at 9.

Thanks man. I am aware of the extra gears and read The Zigmeister's review of the movement. Actually, I have had him do work in the past. Perhaps I should start a new thread as now I am really looking for some one who has had the same issue and determined the cause.

Yes, off topic. I mentioned modding the watch but the topic has to due with the minute counter at the 9 oclock position and if it was functioning correctly.

wasn't it you that brought up the issue of the gen movement? Geesh, can't believe the rudeness of some people!

Although, we both know that more can be done then just AR.

Yes, I noticed how long you've been a member. 200 posts in five years? That's what, about four a month? You were the one that mentioned a gen movement, and I responded that it wouldn't work. Sorry I tried to help.

Your back handed comment about contacting someone who "knows what they are talking about" didn't go unnoticed. As far as I'm concerned you can do what you want with your watch. You've been advised to send it back, yet you now want to waste zig's time , when I guarantee he will tell you the same thing.

Whatever dude, I'm sick of dealing with rude people like yourself, and I'm out of here.