When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Cape cod on polished bezel?

djwatch

hmm.. I know Gio is anti-cape cod, but its very standard practice to use these in the watch world. Politely have to agree to disagree with you Gio. Do they leave fine swirl? sure. Is a bench grinder with polishing wheels and jewler rouge better? Sure. Not always necessary though for some people.

In my experience, the cape cod cloth restores polished surfaces enough for my liking. Enough for my gen TAG bezel. Heres a pic right after I gave it a quick polish.

SDC10133.jpg

That being said, the black txt is definitely not safe during a scrubbing with cape cod. Pick up a little bottle of black gloss enamel paint from a hobby shop. The kind used to build scale models. Thin it out a little if necessary and use capilary action to refill any of the numbers, surely this will have to be done someday anyway.

Not to compromise what Gio is stating.. we all have preferences.. cape cod is used a lot for polishing silver .. it does remove fine scratches for me also.. I use it on my Pams.. and Rollies.. even brushed surfaces for more sheen and believe it or not PVD to remove scratches.. to remove the sheen on PVD just use a tooth brush soap and warm water..

You should wash off the underside of the bracelet before wearing a watch that has been polished with cape code and do not get the residue on your upper part of your hand .. it will cause a severe rash in some people.

I usually just cut off a very small piece and work a piece at a time with my watches... the black soot residue that comes off the ss is oxidation from the metal... it will appear on the cape code... the blacker the cloth gets the more oxidation is on the metal surface.

Do not get the solution on any AR coating.. it will damage the coat.

Here are some pics of my Pam's and my VC.. the brushed finish has more sheen after the cape cod..

pam104003.jpg

pam104013.jpg

111h001.jpg

vc1665drsd017.jpg

After using the cape cod I polish the metal with an ole undershirt.. use cotton fabric to finish.. the cape cod is like applying polish to the surface and acts as a macro compound to remove fine scratches.

I also use aluminum mag wheel polish.. but this is a little messier ... a toothbrush to finish removing polish form the cape cod cloth in cracks.. and the cracks in between the bezel..if you don't remove it it will dry to a white residue.

AC

Lani

Guest techlogik

I just received my polishing cloth and buff pad that Gio recommends in his thread.

There definitely is some skill and experimenting required to use it.

Too much pressure with the buff pad and the grooves are too deep then take awhile to remove.

It seems the polishing cloth is very good, lots of black junk coming off the watch, and does a very good job getting a high polish on brushed. So you really need to get to learn and know on certain finishes, how to NOT over do it. The brushed can be easily made to a polish with the cloth. It needs to be used sparingly as well.

I think I overdid it with both actually.

It would be nice to have a go between the heavier pad and the polishing cloth...if anyone knows of something in between those two, Gio maybe? Let me know.

I need to go over my cousteau again in a few spots where it overdid the pad and need to removed some of the deep stuff and make it just brushed looking again and some cross graining.

Maybe I shouldn't have started with my most expensive and modded rep before trying that...haha...I had no problems with my BP and Breit Seawolf getting the buckles, bracelet and cases looking good on those...just had to be careful and gentle.

I've heard ladies polishing their silver with cape cod cloths all the time...maybe there are some minor differences in some brands that could cause problems.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I have decided to keep the cape cod away from the link-chrono bezel because of the engraved text.

Regards,

Dj

the only polishing cloth I use for engraved bezels is a swede one.. like the type that comes with Invicta watches.. does a nice job..but on the tag .. it really does not need anything else

taglinkchiefar008.jpg

AC/Lani