When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

7750/7753 Crown Removal

blackbard

Is it important to pull the stem/crown off on the 6497 in the winding position? As I have taken it off always in the time setting position..

7750 and 7753s crown removal is best on the time setting position so that you are sure nothing pops/jumps off on the keyless works.

By crown...I think you mean removing the stem (which is attached to the crown). Contrary to what Peyups has said above, The Zigmeister's recommendation is always to pull a 7750 from the winding position as it reduces problems on re-insertion. You can search for his posts on this.

Other member's opinions have varied on this one...I follow Zig's advice.

Is it important to pull the stem/crown off on the 6497 in the winding position? As I have taken it off always in the time setting position..

7750 and 7753s crown removal is best on the time setting position so that you are sure nothing pops/jumps off on the keyless works.

On manual winders, I remove the stem as Mr. Toad corrected in the setting position. Thanks for the response.

By crown...I think you mean removing the stem (which is attached to the crown). Contrary to what Peyups has said above, The Zigmeister's recommendation is always to pull a 7750 from the winding position as it reduces problems on re-insertion. You can search for his posts on this.

Other member's opinions have varied on this one...I follow Zig's advice.

Thanks! Having a tough time searching lately...Must be getting old...

Thanks! Having a tough time searching lately...Must be getting old...

I know...it's not easy. My quick search was this one (not the A7750 specific one...but at least it's an automatic ETA):

Zig's Stem Removal in Winding Position

He's said this a few times in various posts...not a specific topic...that makes it difficult to find as it's buried in the threads in various places. Aaarrrrgggh!!!!

Toad has always been helpful! The advice I gave you is the advice given to me by my watchsmith thou. :)

I've seen it go the other way too by qualified watchmakers. I used to do it in the timesetting position and never had problems...but after reading Zig say to do it in the winding position...I switched...still no problems.

It's less of an issue if you know how to fix the keyless works. :)