When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Vintage TAG Heuer Professional

By-Tor

Hey, I've been having my eye on the used gens on Ebay.co.uk lately and these vintage Pro models aren't too expensive. I believe most of them are quartz though.

I guess I'm not much of a rep buyer anymore... so many cheap vintage Omegas, TAGs and Breitlings out there...

It's bit of a Sub clone, yes, but it has certain charm and appeal. I actually like it a lot. Do you know what sizes these come with... and are they all quartz?

I'm not looking for these for myself necessarily... these would make good potential Xmas gifts to friends.

tagheuer1000black.jpg

Hey, BT!

I have a very similar Heuer diver, pre-Tag. The one you pictured looks to be an '80s vintage and were available with quartz & ETA mechanical movement with the latter being the rarer bird. Personally, I would opt for the ETA and have it serviced and it will rock for many moons to come.

The watches have substantial cases, are built like tanks (at least speaking from my Heuer) and represent a very steady investment. As you may have noticed, collectors & diver fans continue to seek these guys.

BTW, the watch in your photo may be mechanical as it doesn't have "quartz" printed on the dial.

Best of luck with the hunt. :) Darn nice gift!

Cheers,

J

Hi Jet,

lots of these vintage TAGs / Heuers are pretty damn nice. The biggest issue with them (as with most other vintage watches too) is that the cases are usually in the smaller range.

Some cool ones from my "browsing journey".

Here's an old F1 chrono (quartz of course) but pretty cool. I think it's circa 39mm which is a reasonable size. The bezel numbers are worn out but so what... it's vintage.

F1.jpg

How about this Ti pro 2000 model? It's quartz too however... 38mm.

30uz68y.jpg

Automatics are way more expensive but you can find sensational deals on quartz. I might get one just for fun.

It's funny with these vintages... when the size is over 40mm there's also a tremendous price jump. Same applies to all brands though (Ebel, Omega, Breit, Rolex).

By-tor,

I have seen a few variants of the vintage diver. Two most common ones that look like that are the quartz version (as pictured - Tag does not write "quartz" on their dial - so assume if there is no "automatic" written, its a quartz) and also the big superdiver (which goes up to 2000 feet i think).

The superdiver commands a higher price but the standard version will be around the $300 mark for a decent used one. Alternatively, you can try to source the 1000 series (which is very very similar) and a little cheaper generally.

I have the 1000 series version with the luminuous dial, carbon black case - very good condition. May hold on it for a little longer. I also have the 1500 series GMT version too.

Good luck with your search

i love the very first version -

Heuer just bought a complete watch from a French company -

it looked exactly like my watch here : (just with Heuer on the dial )

023.jpg

these are huge watches - for that time - and you can get them from all kind of

brands - like here :

cid_0C2C6E35-622F-404B-9065-2F8403D.jpg

cid_98CFCBF5-4CAF-431B-B44E-023365E.jpg

that makes it interesting to collect them 4me :)

here is a Heuer is once had -

but in horrible condition ;)

DSC00039.jpg

cheers,

Frank

There are a good few reps on the Bay right now, Tags and Omegas seem to be the brands of choice. But then I would imagine you would be the best ma to spot a fake Tag mate!! lol

I picked this up in the Auction sales, http://www.rwgforum.com/topic/108310-genuine-tag-heuer-classic-2000-wk1112-10-to-rwg/ auction ended on friday, guy is also in Scotland, so hopefully it will be here tomorrow!!

My pop has the '98 Mclaren/Benz Tag Link, gen, it too is quartz, the vintage autos are a real sh1t to find these days! Most of them come in around the 38-40mm mark, excluding crown of course, but I think the way they are made always make them have real wrist presence!

I caught a kinda strange one on the Bay the other week, was going to open a thread about it, may still do so, but I bought a Gen Tag Heuer by Odd Thomas, it's called the watertight frog! Odd name but a really cool feelin watch, it's about 44-45mm, kinda squareish case. My pop says it looks great, just figured it would be a cool wee curio. I'll try get pics of it and post a thread about it.

By-Tor, if you need help buying from the UK, gimmie a shout and I can post onto you if the pastage is crazy expensive on the auctions!!

Sixx :bones: