When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Doxa 300T Searambler

lanikai

The silver dial Searambler is not as rare a catch as other vintage 300T's , but with it's silver dial another nice vintage for the collection.. and very pleasing to look at..

Thanks to Arthur once again.. I'm sourcing a modern bracelet from Doxa for this one and sourcing end links for a modern Doxa bracelet that found it's way to Hawaii from Conus for my Divestar.. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Here are some pics..

thanks for viewing

searambler002.jpg

searambler008.jpg

searambler010.jpg

searambler013.jpg

searambler014.jpg

searambler003.jpg

the 300T Pro. has been an elusive beast.. the Icon of the Doxa Vintage .......someday.. at least I have the hunt to look forward to.. :D

AC/Lani

@Zig.. I started colouring in the inner markings with a roller ball :lol: , I need to get a super fine art brush for the orange markers, with a loupe, it'll be like painting in between the lines.. gotta mix up the correct match for the orange a bit more red in this orange me thinks :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Thanks DL.. but.. the quest for the elusive 300T US Divers.... continues.. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Holy cow a very nice pickup Lani, she`s a beaut !!

Another 300t to the collection. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

If this keeps up maybe a subform for Doxas or divers at the least. :D

The doxa gents here are more lively than the orange fora.. fo sure

hows "your" silver dial coming along P ???? :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Wow Lani, that is gorgeous! I didn't know you had your eye on one of these beauties. Verrrrry nice. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

A word of advice, the endlinks for thin/vintage cases won't work for the 300T, as it's a much thicker case. I have about 20 pairs of endlinks for the thin SUB 300NT or possibly 600T reissue. But I doubt they'll work for a 300T.

I tried 100 different combinations of techniques and paints before I found what I like for the vintage Doxa bezels. I use Testors competition series paints from a hobby shop, they're lacquer based. I use gloss black and competition orange. The trick is to do TWO coats of paint in the bezel to get the rich saturated colors.

Clean it throughly, I used alcohol on mine. Make sure it's completely dry before beginning.

Use a toothpick and paint in the orange numerals on the bezel, and expect it to be sloppy. It will spread out over the engraving onto the metal next to it.

Wait for it to dry. This is the hard part. Seriously. You can even use a hair dryer to speed up the paint drying process, but it still won't be dry enough to really stick to the numerals. Wait. Be patient. Overnight is good.

Next morning, find a tongue depressor or a cheap/thin chopstick with a square edge. Use that to push the extra paint off the bezel, leaving the paint down in the grooves. It sounds very tricky but it's remarkably simple. You'll mess up a couple of numbers... don't sweat it. Remember you're going to do this twice so go ahead and repaint the mistakes.

Wait some more, and next time push the excess paint off with your chopstick (or a sharp thumbnail) from the opposite direction.

See how easy that was? Now do the inner bezel markings, and here you want to try and keep the black paint from bleeding out to the little track that connects the depth numerals to the ring separating the inner track from the outer track. You'll see what I mean when you get going. In this case you want to push the excess black paint out of that "ring" with a perpendicular motion (to the ring).

Patience, it can be done. Give it two coats and the final result will be awesome.

thank you for the tips B.......great minds.. and all that jazz :thumbsupsmileyanim:

the bezel colour for my 300NT is black and reddish/orange..same with my Divestar.. so what I did was use a permanent marker and coloured the numerals and ticks with black and red markers.. since the bezel numerals and lines are a little worn I did the same that you did with paint.... only I used the markers..and used my finger to rub away the over spill from the numerals and ticks, and a toothpick to get rid of the left over ink in the tracts, it came out rather nicely ..

tomorrow I'll get an orange marker and go over the red..in the same manner .. hopefully this will produce the reddish/orange colour.. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Doxa service dept. tells me the 1000T bracelet will fit the Searambler.. so I'm gonna call them this week and order one up..

the silver dial really need a ss bracelet to accent the dial :D

I really like looking at the silver dial.. it is really appealing to the eye..

Well.. got the the bezel all done.. the black looks good.. the reddish orange is too opaque..

I'll give the enamel a go..

my 300nt looks reddish.. then under strong light looks dark orange.. I'll give "scarlet" a try.. the orange enamel from the craft store looks toooo bright orange.. :g: