When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

SMP Chrono on Ebay - Gen or Rep?

Fireman_Fred

I might be wrong but this looks very much like a rep to me. First we get the old "I lost the box and papers in a house move" routine and then I noticed the missing pearl and the underside of the bracelet end links. I might be wrong but it looks fishy :fish: to me !

Have a look and see what you think:

Gen or Rep?

I'm not so sure...I think it looks alright. The pics are hard to tell for sure. It could be modded. The pearl position on the insert is fine...proper for gen, even if it's missing the pear (but could be a gen insert on a rep). The caseback looks to have the proper wave depth from casting or forging or whatever it is they do to make it vs. the flatter engraving on the rep. The colour of the hands looks to match the older version of the rep and the date font looks ok...but the pics aren't clear and don't show the more important numbers (any with #4 in it)...and the links on the bracelet look alright to me...but to be sure you really need clearer pics and more closeups.

I can't tell with the crown because of potential light issues hiding the taper of the crown on the top.

The subdial spacing looks weird though...too tight...need a pic of the movement.

The dial is more the real tell but you need a pic taken at the right angle to determine the depth of the waves...and the finish on the inside of the bracelet...which again, you need better macro pics to tell.

The caseback looks to have the proper wave depth from casting or forging or whatever it is they do to make it vs. the flatter engraving on the rep. and the links on the bracelet look alright to me...but to be sure you really need clearer pics and more closeups.

Hi TT, thanks for your input, I beg to differ on case back and bracelet links. Here is a photo of the back of my Gen SMP Chrono - there appears to be a marked difference in the caseback and the end links (where they join the next link, they have more than just the one, single piece):

post-3819-126048338628_thumb.jpg

Definitely a fake.

Sub dials are incorrectly position in relation to markers.

The HE valve is oversized in depth

The case back removal points are located incorrectly and have wrong spacing

Date window is in wrong position

Incorrect bevelling on crown

No serial number on inside of bracelet shoulders

Heres my Gen

4121199913_cd5ab7231f_o.jpg