When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Help! - I need Strap Repair Suggestions

Watchwatcher

Hi all,

I have a gator strap with a couple repair issues, the most pressing is a small tear at the tube end. I have not stitched a leather strap before, but it seems to me that a stitch or two might be the solution.

Any suggestions on what type of needle to use, what type of thread, where to source these and how easy/difficult it is to put a stitch through a fairly hefty strap like this? Any thoughts are welcome! Thanks.

post-454-12605431301_thumb.jpg

Im not much good when It comes to repairing leather goods.I hope you can make the fix yourself, If not. The only suggestion I can make Is to take It to a shoe repair store. I know that other members have done this to great success. These shoe repair folks work with thick leather all day long, good luck. :victory: Mike

There is a nylon thread sold at sewing places and the like. You can use that to sew it up. The needle itself can be used to punch a hole. Be very careful, the needls are sharp. The store should also carry heavy duty needles for stitching leather as well. If its a tear in the leather, you can glue tubes into the lug end as a permanent fix if this is for Pams...This will both keep the leather from ripping any further as well as ensure you have a very strong end. Rubber cement sold at HD will work. Get a toothpick and smear glue inside of the strap lug end, let it set for 15 minutes or so and then place the tube inside. it should hold. Let the glue dry for a couple hours before any heavy use.

blackbard... thanks for the suggestions, much appreciated.

DARE I ASK ANOTHER QUESTION... what would you use on a strap like this (gator) to waterproof it BUT NOT DARKEN the leather. I was told that silicone spray won't darken it (not sure if that is good for gator). I've used mink oil which is a super waterproofer BUT DOES Darken the leather.

blackbard... thanks for the suggestions, much appreciated.

DARE I ASK ANOTHER QUESTION... what would you use on a strap like this (gator) to waterproof it BUT NOT DARKEN the leather. I was told that silicone spray won't darken it (not sure if that is good for gator). I've used mink oil which is a super waterproofer BUT DOES Darken the leather.

I don't know a way without darkening. Since. Make my own, I don't worry too much. Most leather can take moisture as long As it isn't salt water. I use rubber or bracelets for swimming.