When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Upgrade The “ultimate” Submariner?

ProZac

I just purchased a PTs “Ultimate” Submariner (LV version). I think the rep is great, especially the dial. What I would like to do is to change the bezel insert with the original:

http://www.ofrei.com/page_151.html#2533

And replace the band with an original one.

Do you guys think this is possible, anyone done this before on the PTs “Ultimate” Submariner?

I just purchased a PTs “Ultimate” Submariner (LV version). I think the rep is great, especially the dial. What I would like to do is to change the bezel insert with the original:

http://www.ofrei.com/page_151.html#2533

And replace the band with an original one.

Do you guys think this is possible, anyone done this before on the PTs “Ultimate” Submariner?

One thing you should be aware of- The insert you linked to is not original/genuine; rather, it is generic aftermarket.

I've installed genuine inserts before. You have to modify them, but fitting them is absolutely possible.

110771-23954.jpg

110771-23955.jpg

110771-23956.jpg

Now, finding a genuine LV insert is another story...

I haven't had PTs ultimate sub, but i have had Andrews, which appears to be the same watch. On that one, the bezel insert was the same shape as aftermarket insert (a triangular cross section), so should glue right in, without modification.

On this watch though, i think the supplied insert is plenty good enough, and an aftermarket one (other than genuine) is a waste of money. That money (IMO) would be better spent improving the date magnification, which is the only reason i haven't ditched my current subs in favour of the so called 'ultimate' ones.

Thanks for the answers.

What can be done with the date mag, I know that the mag is not 2,5x, but compared to the original watch,

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showto...55&hl=pt+lv (rep)

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=tre...ev=&reveal= (genuine)

it does not look that bad I think. It looks to me like the “standard” reps have too large date mags?

What about the band, can I replace it with a better one, without going bankruptcy?

Bad picture, but here you can se the watch I bought:

post-1869-1157098845_thumb.jpg

i say leave it like it is - its a nice rep -

if its 98,8 or 99 % after mods - doesnt really matter ... its still an rep.

better save the money and bye an new (better) version in 6 month.

Frank

• 3 weeks later...

Today I received my after mark bezel insert, bought from a seller on eBay for 20 USD. It definitely looks better than the original. The biggest difference is that the after mark bezel insert has “smaller” and better printing.

Now I will try to replace it, which glue does you guys use for this operation?

My watchmaker uses contact cement, so I use it quite often, easy clean-up if it leaks out, etc.

Also, GS Hypo-cement is good too. The pin point applicator on the tube is very nice for close work.

Try to stay away from Super-glue, if you make a mess, you'll be sorry!

BTW, look at the 4's on your two inserts. The insert on your watch has the new 4, the insert you just bought is the old 4. I've noticed that Rolex changed the 4's two to three years ago. So you're putting an old 4 on, FWIW. New 4's are narrow at the top, forming a triangle inside, old 4's are wider at the top w/ a rhomboid/ parrallelogram inside.