When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

2836 GMT Hand different than 2893, or just an old wives tale?

Snrubb

Mount all of the hands in the correct order ( you can skip the sweep ) and then set the watch.

Now how do they all fit?

Are you asking because you know or are you proposing that with all the hands on it may not work?

I haven't done that yet, but it sure looks like it wouldn't make a difference.

I have just measured the inner diameter of DSN GMT hands for both 2836 modified and 2893. GMT hand for 2893 has the diameter 1.73 mm, hand for the 2836 - 2.12 mm

A year ago or so I did replace 2836 with 2893 in my 029, and I can assure you that from my experience GMT hand for modified 2836 is much wider, and cannot be directly used on 2893 movement. Well, may be some newer version of modified

2836 has the different pinion size.

Are you asking because you know or are you proposing that with all the hands on it may not work?

I haven't done that yet, but it sure looks like it wouldn't make a difference.

I wanted you to make sure that they haven't changed the diametre. It appears that nothing has changed and you will need a DSN 2893 hand or a new complete set to get uniform lume.

Jim

I guess we are ignoring the fact that I put a 2836 hand on the 2893 and it fit perfectly. :)

(See the picture):D

This is why I requested that you install all of the hands in the correct order and then set the watch. That will determine if the GMT hand in on the proper shaft or if it is on the hour shaft.

I'm holding a 2893 and a 2836 GMT hand and they are different diametres on my movements so unless you have a new movement style they won't work correctly.

Jim