When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Mercury Needs Help From The Community

Mercury

I am studying to be journalist and I needed some jobs to get my name out there and have something to put on resume. I plan on being a automotive journalist so what better way to prepare then to write about cars. I started doing that at the link below but I need page views and comments in order to A) get paid and B) get noticed. So I ask the community members to save the link in my sig and look at the site and read the article. Comments are not needed if you don't have the time but page views are very important.

Thank You All For Your Help.

Merc

I took those pictures and did a bit more :whistling: . I don't get press passes yet for anything, haven't been doing it that long. Thanks for the continued help. I had over 140 views compared to a 78 national average on the site for transportation. Need to keep it up. Really appreciate the help.

:thumbsupsmileyanim: I wont mind riding in the backseat!

Fair enough mate....but shes in the front!! I would rather be cleaning the windscreen!! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I made some comments Mercury.....mainly about how badly written they were!! ;)

A couple suggestions. Pick a particular area in automotive journalism and concentrate on that 100%. Learn everything you can and more about that particular area. This means more than antique cars for instance, get more specific and run with it. The other thing I would do once you figure out what area you want to concentrate on is join some auto forums and read like crazy and participate. Once you start to feel comfortable, look for events in your area or close by that you can attend and start doing your stuff. If the guys know you from the forum, they'll be more than happy to help you in any way they can. Two things to remember about this is forums can be political so watch everything you say. The other thing is that auto guys like to have their egos stroked. You'll have to play the game a bit but it'll pay off. Whatever you do online will follow you, so think of it as a way to build your reputation.

Taking that a step further, many of these forums have clubs that you could offer to assist them with publications. Just like anything else, you'll most likely have to start out doing things for free. That's OK. It gets your name out there and gives you something to put on your resume. No one who looks at that resume needs to know whether you got paid or not. I think that's enough for now. :)

I have planned out this goal. In a year and half of I going to the UK for my Masters in Automotive Journalism and because I love that country and have wanted to go back since I was there two years ago. With that MA in hand and various experience, such as this site, my schools alumni magazine, the Plain Dealer and so on, I would love to land something with Autocar, Top Gear, What Car, Car or anything really. I wouldn't even mind teaching automotive journalism. Hell, I wouldn't getting my PhD.