When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Best Air King

soonerwatch

I am looking for a rep air king. These watches aren't discussed much on the forum but they are classics in my opinion. Clean and understated. The best rep I have found so far is here. Watcheden has one but it has a center polished link. I prefer a bracelet that has only brushed links. Any ideas of other sources for these?

Ahh.. The Air-King.. Rolex' understated Aviator watch. :)

The story goes that Rolex manufactured a line of "Air-xxxx" watches, to honor the allied aviators during ww2. There was Air-Lion, Air-Giant and Air-King among others. Air-King sold rather well, so the watch has been in the Rolex lineup since.

According to some sources, the most popular watches with the aviators were the rather small, non-chronograph watches. The small size without any protruding pushers was an advantage in the cockpit, where it could be smashed around in the cockpit. As far as I know, the Allied pilots did not have a counterpart to the Big Pilots of the Luftwaffe.

I have owned the watch in your link. Silix did have some really good bargain watches in the old days.. I did not like that the minutes-track is inboard from the edge of the dial.. It looked odd to me, I sold it to a forum member. ( S... might chime in, as I know he also is an Air-King fan. ) I am way more happy with my present Blue dial Air-King. :) Previously, Silix sold another silver dial AK which I found much better. In addition to the minutes track, the "g" in "king" was better..

Some pictures:

Air_king_dial.jpg

According to my memory.. This is the one I received from the "new" batch.. The minutes track is way to far away from the edge of the dial.. Also: odd "g"..

AirKingFront2.jpg

From the old batch. Good "g" and better minutes track.

AirKingMap2.jpg

Air-King_comparison.jpg

Air-King_wristshot.jpg

17mai_AirKing.jpg

Blue dial A-K. Way better than the new batch silver dial.

I have bought two silver face Air-Kings from Silix.

The first Silver face Air-King picture is of the newest Silver face AK, the others are from older Silix-Air Kings.

Unfortunately, I think the older watches are the best... But, It is still about 1,5 years since I bought these..

The newest Air-Kings, I prefer to pass in silence.... :cry2:

when they just say asian presume low beat.

Right, it's the usual 21,600 beat which is a good match for an old Air King. My fast beat reps don't look to be much different in their sweep.

Hey, remember it's a $39 rep!

Carl