When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Fear and Loathing at the Flea Market

Anguz

Hi Gang,

I just came back from the flea market and found a bag of watch parts. I noticed that they were rep Rolex parts all in pieces. I bought the bag for quite cheap and came home and poured our the bag not knowing really what was there. I used my old mechano set skills and the final result is a rep GMT, a rep Sub, a Datejust, and finally a Daydate dial and case and sh*t movement attached.

The GMT and the Sub have no crowns or gaskets.

So, in the spirit of this forum, and personally to a certain member who will remain nameless who was kind to me, but who you probably all know, I want to give away the Daydate dial and case to anyone to make any donation to RWG, in Canada, as I can't afford too much shipping costs, I'm a Uni student, LOL. If someone is working on some project, maybe you can use it.

Cheers.

Thanks RWG.

post-24823-126134263601_thumb.jpg

post-24823-126134271768_thumb.jpg

Hello again.

I am surprised nobody wants this. But, I have been inspecting my new goods and the Datejust, which is beautiful, has a miyota 21 jewel movement but is missing a part, which is beyond my expertise. I want to give this away to someone who can fix it/afford to fix it/who wants it.

Same deal, make a donation to RWG, and its yours.

I would prefer in the GTA area for this so I don't have to spend money to mail it, we can just meet and I'll hand her over.

Cheers!

post-24823-126135594685_thumb.jpg

Almost 100 views and no replies to a free rep for a donation to RWG, nice! :thumbdown:

Thats a great gesture Anguz, hope one of my RWG neighbors up north see this thread. Probably the fuzzy pics keeping people from biting, just to be honest.

I know. My camera stinks!

Almost 100 views and no replies to a free rep for a donation to RWG, nice! :thumbdown:

Considering the fall out of the last deal of this type it's no surprise. It would be as if Jeb Bush were campaigning for '12 on an "I'm going to gather enough intel to win Congressional vote to overthrow the Syrian Regime and instill democracy there. They probabaly have weapons of mass destruction. I would imagine." platform.

'Anguz' just send your parts pro bono to anyone who wants them. That's all you would have to do to prove your solidarity to RWG. It is a nice gesture, and the donations would take care of themselves.

Cheers!

Hello again.

I'm sorry if this has bothered anyone but I find this a little odd. I'm not trying to prove anything, I was just trying to be nice...I didn't realize it would be such a "thing." Oh well.

As far as sending things pro bono, as a student who has to eat Mr.Noodles several times a week in order to afford gas to drive to school :) , it's not so easy for me to send packages which are not too cheap....sorry about that, or I would certainly do it.

Anyhoo, I'll just leave the offer out there.

Cheerio.

Not really a 'thing' Anguz it's just that the gesture is rife for signals getting crossed. I'm sure you're aware of the fact 'lanikai' extended the same kind offer and it purdy much blew up in his face in the vain of "No good deed goes unpunished............."

Just to play Devil's advocate here, just suppose; A noob registers and sees your offer. He makes the donation, and you send him the parts. What if;

They get lost in the post. Are you going to refund his donation? What if he donated 100usd?

He gets the parts and he deems them crap. He can't use them. He doesn't feel they are worth his donation. He sends them back to you and ranks on the Admin. He wants his donation back and calls RWG a scam site. Singles you out as a scammer.

Some member from another board has too many cocktails and starts a thread; "Yeah sure, RWG. The site of 'brotherly love and community'. As long as you break out the check book and line the Admin's pockets. I run a website on tropical fish. I run that site with all the bandwidth in cyber space on $15 a month. Somebody's getting rich here. :thumbdown: "

Sounds far fetched but it can and partially has happened recently.

RWG, just being RWG is it's best advocate for support. In the proactive sector there are two or three heavyweight members who've taken on the task on behalf of but aside any cue from the Admin. They are beyond reproach in character. Even they are targets for detractors and trolls.

I have seen where a member has taken it upon himself to paste 'lanikai' 's signature banner on his own account. That banner itself has drawn ire with regard. I'm sure no one, including 'lanikai' would object if you adopted it as well. I would imagine that's about how far you'd want to stick your neck out 'proactively' for the cause for monetary support. If the situation gets dire the Admin. will take make an announcement.

As I said before, just extend the kind gesture to the greater membership with availability of your parts with no strings. Setting that as example of 'how RWG'ers do it' will shape and set the stage for member support. I could only hope.

Hello,

You make some excellent points there that I didn't even think of that make sense. I was not aware of those 'incidents'.

In that case, I rescind my previous stipulation.

Cheers!

Naw P4, it's not what I was drinking, it was what I was eating. I'm filled up to ^^^^^^here^^^^^^^ with [censored] and Moan About Donation Pie with Debate the Issue to Death Sauce. Is where I saw this thread going aside 'Anguz' 's kind gesture. Boring. At least one member of the Admin. thought so too. In those other threads.

But you're right, none of my biz. I was over thinking the whole situation and I'm sorry I piped up here altogether. If a 76 post noob wants to stick his neck out of a moving train entering a tight tunnel following an established member's lead? Blood, gutz, and brains all over the board makes for good holiday reading. I guess. :lol:

Would this be an appropriate time to discuss the fact Iran recently seized an Iraqi oil field? I think that flows with the ebb.

<edit> I love your new signature D. It captures a point in time, in my mind's eye, on and off of my driveway, when I had had enough of a rather cantankerous Daytona 116520 seconds @ 6. Pretty ashamed of the behavior, but God it felt good.