When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

6497 Swiss Swan Neck Stops Running

olreon

hello,

i got a problem with my 6497 swiss swan neck movement. the balance stops swinging when i put the watch on my wrist. i took a closer look at the mobement and recognized that the balance when it is swinging also is moving up and down (see the pic). the movement works perfect for a month. i never dropped the watch or did hit something with the watch.

what could this be? first of all could it be fixed?

111186-23856.jpg

best wishes

olreon

Sounds like it is a common problem I have seen, and have to do a post on to warn everyone... I have all the pictures but have not had time to get the post done...

You have one of the new movements, see the pallet arm, it's only attached on one side, and this is the way to tell this new movement from the old ones...it's not a good model, and has problems, the one you have...

The problem is that you have one of the new movements that I have just started to see...and everyone of them, including yours from the picture, has the same problem, the hairspring is bent...and when you turn the watch over, the hairspring is touching the balance [censored]... You can see in your picture that the hairspring is almost touching the balance [censored] right now, as soon as you turn it over, it moves a bit (it should move) and by moving the hairspring touches the [censored] and the watch stops...

I have fixed these when I have worked on them, the fix required removing the balance hairspring from the stud arm, making it straight, and then gluing it in place again...

I hope to have time this weekend to post this movement, and how to recognize it when you see it, and what the problem is on all of them...

This is a movement to stay away from, it's got problems that only a watchmaker can fix...

Yes it can be fixed...

RG

Edited by ziggyzumba

@leitztozeiss

do you also got problems with your 6497? it´s strange, it runs perfectly about 1 month and then it starts stopping :g: .

so, if i understood ziggy correctly it is a problem of the hairspring. but what is bent on the hairspring and where did it touch the balance [censored]. my english is not that good, what is the balance [censored], can someone show it to me on a pic?

thanks!

best wishes

olreon

Nothing wrong with the bends you can see. To describe the problem in simple terms it seems that the balance spring is positioned so that it is touching the underside of the balance [censored] (I think). I have one of these movts which so far is fine but has only been running for a week or so.

hello,

the strange thing is that it runs perfect for about 1 month and then it started stopping. so if the hairspring is bent then i should have the problem from first time winding and runing the movement!

when i take a closer look at the balance, i see that the balance staff (the pin that goes into the balance [censored]) is moving from left to right when the balance is swinging, and the balance staff that comes into the movement plate is absolutely in correct position, no moving from left to right!

hmmm! this starts getting realy strange... :g:

bet wishes

olreon

I have just got an asian 6497 with exactly the same problem. With the watch face down all is well but face up and it stops. This watch had been working fine for a while. I have a feeling that the makers of this new movt use a chinese made balance wheel (hence the non standard shaped spokes) and I am beginning to wonder if they are lubed properly? It could be that if there is no oil that theyare wearing the cap jewel out allowing more vertical movt of the balance so allowing the spring to contact the balance [censored]? The Zigmeister where are you??

@l2z.......I love that avatar....hilarious......:lol:

They're grrr-eat arent they?

My brother sent me an email joke with all the different types of cats listening to music :thumbsupsmileyanim: