When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Dial Painting/Lettering/Resin Filling/Luming... Part 1

TswissT

Not too sure if this would be the right subforum, so if Admin feels the need to move this; I understand.

Thought I would try and combine several different methods I have been testing into one nice and concise tutorial.

Not too difficult a job. Remove the dial from the backplate when starting from scratch here.

1. Stripping the Paint from the existing dial and/or backplate:

I like to start with a bare bones dial... Stay away from sanding your dials. Go to your nearest Home Depot or whatever hardware store and get paint stripper. Be sure to buy a few of those plastic disposable trays too...

IMG_8735.jpg

Simply drop the dial in the tray and pour a bit of stripper on top and let it soak for about 2 or 3 minutes. While wearing gloves, remove the dial and gently brush the dial with a wire brush. I am sure you can use other, more gentle, brushes; but this is what I had around the house. The paint will come off very easy.

IMG_8736.jpg

Now wipe the residue off the dial and wash it in mild soap and water or vinegar. (I am told that vinegar removes oils and residue from brass and Stainless)

IMG_8737.jpg

Your dial should now look like a small clean brass plate. (Although some of mine did not look brass at all) :)

IMG_8739.jpg

This also works if you want to strip down the back plate. Removing any and all lume, paint, or anything else for that matter... The paint stripper is strong stuff.

****Forgot to metion; you probably want to do this part outside since the fumes from that stripper is enough to drop a horse***

Turn on some tunes, you will be at this for a while: :)

IMG_8732.jpg

And you can't forget the early morning Krusty the Clown Slippers.

IMG_8738.jpg

2. Painting the dial and/or backplate:

I have tried over 10 different painting methods, and I have found that my favorite and easiest to use the the ole airbrush.

Picked one up at a local hobby shop with the compressor (very quiet by the way) for under $150.00...

IMG_8747.jpg

I have found some spray paint to actually be pretty darn good too. Just remember to find "FLAT" paint... (At least in my limited experience, Flat works best for the PAM and hommage dials I am working with)

Next tool you need is a heat gun a.k.a Wife's Hairdryer:

IMG_8740.jpg

She will KILL me if she ever sees his thread... :)

My little outdoor patio workstation looks like this:

IMG_8731.jpg

I started with a white base coat... Actually a little off-white:

IMG_8741.jpg

Added a single LIGHT coat:

IMG_8742.jpg

By the way; I use an old hunk of styrofoam from my kid's Christmas toys and toothpicks to hold the dials in place.

Next, I added a darker color to try and get that aged sunburt/faded color:

IMG_8743.jpg

IMG_8744.jpg

After you achieve the desired color, you can spray the dial with a LIGHT coat of CLEAR MATTE Finish... This was actually a difficult find for me; ended up using a Krylon Clear Matte I found at Home Depot.

***Please remember that after every coat, hit that sucker with the hairdryer for about 4 to 5 minutes***

If you have engraved letter you want to fill in; please take heed that every coat of paint makes the engravins a little more shallow...

Another recommendation I was given was to put the dial in the oven on 350 degrees for about 20 minutes to fully cure the paint to the dial.

Place that sucker on a sheet of tin foil and cook away:

IMG_8746.jpg

IMG_8748.jpg

When you remove the dial from the oven; you may realize you left it in too long, or that you didn't apply enough paint... :)

Notice how my dials changed in appearance.

Before cooking:

IMG_8744.jpg

After cooking:

IMG_8749.jpg

It's alright you can always touch it up a bit more afterwards. I overcooked mine a bit and the white paint turned a bit yellow. No worries, because the airbrush was still around to add some more color. :) Cooked for about 10 minutes and the result came out as expected.

IMG_8745.jpg

Please stay tuned for Part 2 (Filling the lettering/Resin filling/Luming)

Intersting ! I see on the last picture that 'LUMINOR PANERAI' seems to be etched into the dial metal. Is this the case for all PAM dials? I am asking because I am looking into having a custom dial made where it says 'PILOTA MILITARE' and it will prove difficult if it has to be etched in addition to just painted on..

Looking forward to part two :good: