When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I got called out for wearing a rep...

bjl3910

I was at a local pub for happy hour today with a few people from the office. One guy, a real jerk, decided that he was going to show out in front of some women. He decided to call me out for wearing a rep. I mean the guy really tried to make me look like an A$$. I listened to him for a few minutes with a smile on my face. He went on about his Tag, and how people who wore reps were sad and that he worked so hard and saved up to buy his watch the

Sounds like you behaved with about as much dignity as he did. That aggressive attack just proved that he had touched a raw nerve and you probably looked like a humiliated 'fake watch' wearer! I wouldn't feel so smug, the joke is on you buddy!

I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but that's the dumbest thing I have ever heard. I tell people that my watches are reps. If you actually read this post before you started running your mouth, you would know that the only reason the guy even knew it was a rep, was that I told him. It doesn't bother me at all to wear reps or for people to know. Read some of my posts, I am always breaking the "wearong you rep to the AD" rule...I could care less who knows. I wrote a post on here a few months back about how I would probably never buy another gen...and BTW, I own a few of those too. Basically you should read before you talk my friend. Then you won't come off as such an A$$. Really, the fact that you just tried to put me down makes you closer to that guy than me. I was just defending myself, you are just blatantly being mean. I wonder if the forum has rules about people like you....We should. I don't really know you or what your problem is, but hey, maybe they make a pill for it. Goood luck & Happy New Year buddy.

By the way, you didn't come out "shining". You just showed that you can be a bigger jerk that the other guy.

Agree to disagree. I mean I see your point, but the fact that the guy wan't even familiar with the brand until I told him about my watch being a rep and then used it against me to impress some women half his age is pittiful. Not to mention the fact that I AM HIS BOSS. He works for my family's company. Anyway, I do see how I may have lowered myself down to his level for a minute, but man did it feel good. And BTW, I appreciate the constructive criticism. Maybe next time I will handle it in a better way. It just caught me off guard, know what I mean?

Sounds like you behaved with about as much dignity as he did. That aggressive attack just proved that he had touched a raw nerve and you probably looked like a humiliated 'fake watch' wearer! I wouldn't feel so smug, the joke is on you buddy!

And one more thing, you are a member of this forum now, so welcome to the community my fellow "FAKE WATCH WEARER" LOL

I had to read your reply twice, for a second I thought you were calling me a tool. Yeah the guy really sucks. I was telling my friend Mike about it tonight...yeah the guy wears a Tag...and now he drives an Oldsmobile Delta 88. Nice car man. :-)

That Indeed was funny Brian. The guy sounds like a major douchbag. Im sure the guy will think twice before shooting his big mouth off In front of you again. All I can say Is "anyone driving a 20 year old Oldsmobile should not be talking [censored] about someone's watch, rep or gen". The guy sounds like loser and Im sure those women thought so to, good job Brian :thumbsupsmileyanim: Mike

Hey Charlie, there Is this old saying "If you cant say something nice then maybe It's better to nothing at all" Happy New year :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Hey Chucky, there Is this old saying "If you cant say something nice then STFU", Happy New year Chuck :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Good lookin' out Mike. Someone needs a lesson in manners. I don't mind someone giving me some constructive criticism, but don't just call me a joke. Thats just rude. The whole point of the thread was to have a little fun with something that happened to me...geez!!

nice story and i think, you did it right batman ;) i think i would have done the same. cause i dont push my level higher cause of my watch, i am what i am, no matter what is on my wrist, a cheap woolworth quartz or a omega or panerai rep, this things are only for me personal. cause many of the people i meet dosnt even know how much then gens cost :)

best regards denz

Good lookin' out Mike. Someone needs a lesson in manners. I don't mind someone giving me some constructive criticism, but don't just call me a joke. Thats just rude. The whole point of the thread was to have a little fun with something that happened to me...geez!!

Brian this guy at the pub went out of his way to embarrass and humiliate you In a public place, In front of other people. As far as Im concerned the gloves come off at this point. If you were to just sit there and take It I would think that you had no back bone or self respect. I think this Is a good example of "what go's around comes around", again good job :thumbsupsmileyanim: Mike

By the way, you didn't come out "shining". You just showed that you can be a bigger jerk that the other guy.

Well sence were on the topic of jerks, Im glad you showed up. Did bjl3910 Insult you In any way? I dont think so but you felt It necessary to call him a jerk. Well If not anything else you have certainly proven who the real jerk Is, nice :good:

Well sence were on the topic of jerks, Im glad you showed up. Did bjl3910 Insult you In any way? I dont think so but you felt It necessary to call him a jerk. Well If not anything else you have certainly proven who the real jerk Is, nice :good:

No, Maxman, I actually think this response was constructive. I was just being a bigger jerk. At least this guy didn't call me a joke. So I can handle this comment. And like I said, maybe I'll handle something like this differently in the future.

I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but that's the dumbest thing I have ever heard. I tell people that my watches are reps. If you actually read this post before you started running your mouth, you would know that the only reason the guy even knew it was a rep, was that I told him. It doesn't bother me at all to wear reps or for people to know. Read some of my posts, I am always breaking the "wearong you rep to the AD" rule...I could care less who knows. I wrote a post on here a few months back about how I would probably never buy another gen...and BTW, I own a few of those too. Basically you should read before you talk my friend. Then you won't come off as such an A$$. Really, the fact that you just tried to put me down makes you closer to that guy than me. I was just defending myself, you are just blatantly being mean. I wonder if the forum has rules about people like you....We should. I don't really know you or what your problem is, but hey, maybe they make a pill for it. Goood luck & Happy New Year buddy.

Be careful with that, while there is little a AD can do about you wearing a rep (depending on what country you reside in), we still do not want to draw undue attention to this hobby. Sure, many folks won't know the difference or even care, but why do it? Its the same as posting rep information on a gen site, don't do it! We are all better off just enjoying our timepieces for what they are, a fun interesting hobby.

Just some friendly advice B)

Be careful with that, while there is little a AD can do about you wearing a rep (depending on what country you reside in), we still do not want to draw undue attention to this hobby. Sure, many folks won't know the difference or even care, but why do it? Its the same as posting rep information on a gen site, don't do it! We are all better off just enjoying our timepieces for what they are, a fun interesting hobby.

Just some friendly advice B)

As a matter of fact, another member PM'ed me about it a while ago. I have since refrained from doing it. I was unaware of all that was going on to thwart our little past time. I was just bringing it up to illustrate a point...that I am not ashamed of my reps. I wear them as often and with as much pride in ownership as I do the gens I have. That was all I was saying. But thanks for the heads up.

I apologies. I didn't want to sound mean, I was just pointing out that to publicly humiliate the guy so aggressively because he mentioned your fake watch sounds rather harsh to me. The fact that you're his boss makes it even more demeaning for him. He might have been behaving like a tactless jerk but your retaliation revealed your own embarrassment as much as his shortcomings. Psychology lesson over. Sorry for winding you up. Have a nice day!

I apologies. I didn't want to sound mean, I was just pointing out that to publicly humiliate the guy so aggressively because he mentioned your fake watch sounds rather harsh to me. The fact that you're his boss makes it even more demeaning for him. He might have been behaving like a tactless jerk but your retaliation revealed your own embarrassment as much as his shortcomings. Psychology lesson over. Sorry for winding you up. Have a nice day!

charlie all I can say Is you have a lot of class. :good: It takes a big person to apologize. I do think I understand where your comming from, but In the heat of the moment we sometimes act out more aggressively than we should. But I do agree that this guy being a colleague and turnning around and tring to insult someone In front of other people Is really a no class move. We just never know about some people :unsure: Mike

It cracks me up that people think a Tag is a "good" watch. It disturbs me that they think it's a watch worth bragging about.

I like the OP. You seem like a good guy! At first its easy to say "You shouldnt sink to his level". Sometimes, you have to defend yourself. If that guy hadn't been an asshat then he would've been alright. He had it coming.

It cracks me up that people think a Tag is a "good" watch. It disturbs me that they think it's a watch worth bragging about.

Seriously? We're all entitled to our opinions, and for every brand there will be a hater.

TAG has been very innovative. Have you ever resized a LINK bracelet? Probably the nicest looking bracelet since the oyster.

And the new belt-drive Monaco? People are calling it the coolest watch on the planet!

tagheuermonacov4.jpg

"Winding me up" that's priceless, given our common interest here...watches. I had to chuckle at that one. And I should apologize too. I think I was still a little hot over the whole thing. The fact that my watch was fake has nothing to do with me getting upset. It's the fact that the guy used soemthing that I told him to blatanly humiliate me. I could care less who knows my watch is fake. Ask around here, a few of the members will tell you that I don't care who knows...Almost to the point of being reckless. I have had a few members that are wiser than me, call me out for wearing my reps in to the AD's around town. I just don't care. I have never been a person who measures my own self worth by the opinions of others. If that where the case, I would have bigger problems than fake watches. If anything my problem is the opposite, I tell too many people about reps. One reason fot this, is that I have been a watch enthusiast for many years. I own several gens in addition to my growing rep collection and I personally have been blown away by the quality of my rep purchases. Now I have done my homework and purchased reps that I feel are from a higher range of quality than some, but that's just MO. I have grown to believe that there's not a big enough difference in the reps I choose and their gen counterparts to justify the huge pricetags. I guess you could say that every time I get a good rep, I feel like I won a small personal battle with the gen companies. I beat them again. HAHAHA. I have stated many times before on this forum that it would take a very special watch to make me buy gen again, b/c I wear my watches, and I am rough on them. I don't baby them, real or rep. So if a rep breaks, who cares,but when you get a scratch on a gen, you are [censored]. For now, reps do it for me and I could care less who knows. Its all about the look, the general asthetic that you are trying to achieve...well it is to me anyway. Now a lot of the folks here that build and mod will tell you otherwide, but that's what is so great about this hobby. There's room for everyone and their quirks. Me, I just like the way watches look. I don't care about movements and I am not exacting on the details. Hell I have a rep that is gold plated and says stainless steel...and I wear it almost everyday. So I was not, nor have I ever been ashamed of wearing reps...I mean they are still nicer than a $100 Fossil and they are even nicer than that $600 quartz watch at Brooks Brothers. So I say wear and enjoy and if you are trying to fool people, the only person you are fooling is yourself. But I do appreciate the psycology lesson. I have a habbit of acting w/o thinking things through. Some people call it a temper, me I just call it affective conflict resolution. LOL. Anyway, no apology needed. Welcome to the neighborhood. Happy hunting. Oh, and for all you Texas fans... ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That guy was dumb, trying to offend or humiliate the guy who gives him a ride to the party/pub, who knows embarrasing personal information and who happens to be his boss!!! PLEEEEASE.... he had it coming.

And also...even us, FAKE WATCH WEARERS, HAVE DIGNITY....

Edited by Fer

That guy was dumb, trying to offend or humiliate the guy who gives him a ride to the party/pub, who knows embarrasing personal information and who happens to be his boss!!! PLEEEEASE.... he had it coming.

And also...even us, FAKE WATCH WEARERS, HAVE DIGNITY....

I agree that we do have dignitty. I also think that this community Is 100% proof of just that :) Mike