When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Hello.....and Super-Reps?

time4me

Hi all. Thanks for a great site. I'm looking for my 1st rep and willing to pony up for a quality piece. I (of coarse) am looking for a great 1st experience, so the cheap reps are not being considered. Is there a spot where someone has consolidated a list of those pieces that have made it to "super-rep" status? I understand that there is opinion involved, but opinion by respected and experienced collectors would carry a lot of weight. I tried the search function without much luck.

Hi all. Thanks for a great site. I'm looking for my 1st rep and willing to pony up for a quality piece. I (of coarse) am looking for a great 1st experience, so the cheap reps are not being considered. Is there a spot where someone has consolidated a list of those pieces that have made it to "super-rep" status? I understand that there is opinion involved, but opinion by respected and experienced collectors would carry a lot of weight. I tried the search function without much luck.

I am also new and looking to purchase some good pieces. In my opinion, the best bet would be to look in the "trade" section of the forum. Some of the more experienced members offer up pieces they no longer need. Many have been worked on by quality watchmakers that I don't yet know or have contact with. So, for me..buying "In house" will be my first experience.

Good Luck!

Thank you for your suggestion. I am interested in buying new and from a known supplier to members here. I figure I can avoid a lot of other people's mistakes by trying to listen and learn. I just would like some advice on models that have made the list of "super-reps" with the best and most reliable (eta?) automatic movements as supplied by the most reputable dealers. Pretty broad I know, but I really don't want to put limits on it at the moment. I will keep reading, but any suggestions or links would be greatly appreciated.

Don't discount the cheaper watches, they can be a good way of seeing if you actually like a watch or not, so saving on a chunk of change... For example, from the photos, I thought I would really like the Vacheron Constantin Overseas, but when it arrived, I couldn't stand to wear it. Sure, it looked fantastic, and there was nothing actually wrong with it, but everytime I put it on, a little voice yelled getitoffGETITOFFGETITOFF!!! I was glad that I'd only bought a cheaper, rather than more expensive version, and the only difference, was the movement...

Welcome to the party :drinks:

[Edit to add]

Another example would be the Rolex 1655. Absolutely iconic watch, and one I thought I'd really like. While I can wear it without the getitoffGETITOFFGETITOFF!!! going off in my head, I don't feel particularly connected to it as a watch (despite reluming the dial and tinting the GMT hand myself) and although I think I will keep it 'as a spare', I don't think it will ever be my first choice to wear if I have an alternative... Not cash I regret spending, as it was incredibly cheap, in fact, I'm glad I only bought the cheap version, as had I coughed up $200+ for it, I would have been really frustrated, and probably re-sold it to try and recoup some of the loss...

I believe that what you need to do is decide what you like and want. Start with that and then work out from there. Some folks collect only one brand, others only one era, others only one type i.e. Chronographs.First off you are buying these watches for your on use and enjoyment, they are certainly not and investment, as very few of the reps have ever increased in value. So buying one for 150.00 or 500.00 Dollars is your decision. I believe that the problem most folks have when they start collecting, is a lack of direction. They like everything!! With reps, it doesn't matter, because as I said before, they aren't appreciating so you aren't buying them as an investment. After you decide which brand, model, etc. you want then you can focus on the dealers, or start looking on the sales forums for what you want. Have fun, don't take it too seriously and most of all read, read, read. The more you know.... Well, the more you know.

Cheers

Arthur

WOW Lani.....thanks for the link. Amazing collection. Whenever I drop into an AD, I seem to gravitate toward Breitlings 1st followed by Omega then Rolex. I'm sure name recognition has a lot to do with it plus watches in the 4 $ figures are reachable (wifey has a gen Omega and Rolex) where as 5 figure (and up) watches are a bit unrealistic. A 42mm face is be about max that I'm comfortable with on my wrist (about 7 1/8"). Anything beyond that makes me feel like a little kid wearing Dad's shoes. Example: The EVO Chrono is nice, but the Cockpit Chrono just looks and feels better to me. I'll probably start with something with a bit of a sport/casual that can do duty with a suit if I get caught - maybe a Breitling on a bracelet(?).

WOW Lani.....thanks for the link. Amazing collection. Whenever I drop into an AD, I seem to gravitate toward Breitlings 1st followed by Omega then Rolex. I'm sure name recognition has a lot to do with it plus watches in the 4 $ figures are reachable (wifey has a gen Omega and Rolex) where as 5 figure (and up) watches are a bit unrealistic. A 42mm face is be about max that I'm comfortable with on my wrist (about 7 1/8"). Anything beyond that makes me feel like a little kid wearing Dad's shoes. Example: The EVO Chrono is nice, but the Cockpit Chrono just looks and feels better to me. I'll probably start with something with a bit of a sport/casual that can do duty with a suit if I get caught - maybe a Breitling on a bracelet(?).

That question is pretty subjective my friend. You will get a variety of answers based on other individuals